Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Why our kids are in public school--Part 1


We are often asked why we have chosen to place our kids in public school. Before I answer that, though, I want to dispel some of the misconceptions about public school.

1. Myth #1 Public schools are inferior in academic quality. Our school uses innovation, technology and creativity to make learning both practical and fun. National testing scores are outstanding. The environment is calm, positive and upbeat. There is a strong emphasis on math, science and the arts. (This picture was taken last week on Colonial Day. Each child played the role of a particular historical character for the event, wrote and memorized a speech, and had to present it to a large audience. Then we had a huge colonial feast and dance. It was a fun day of family and community, and made history come alive for our kids).

2. Myth #2 A parent is always the best teacher. Parents are not necessarily the best teachers, and can do more harm than good if they do not have a solid academic foundation. I personally do not feel qualified to teach my children, partly because I was not raised in an American school system. And there IS such a thing as "too much togetherness." My kids need a break from me ocassionally, and I want them to be exposed to other views and perspectives besides my own.

3. Myth #3 All public schools have an agenda to "indoctrinate" our kids with a secular worldview. In fact, we have found quite the opposite to be true. Most of their learning is simply academic and rather neutral in worldview. But there is also a fairly strong Christian presence in our schools.

The majority of our school board, several teachers, and even our PTO president are evangelical Christians. That is remarkeable, considering how liberal this region of the country is!!!

One day in class, Joshua mentioned that his grandparents were missionaries. Some of the kids asked what that was, so the teacher asked him if he would explain it to the class. He told them that Nanny and Papa's job was to "tell people about Jesus, because everyone needs to know about Him."

We have a Moms in Touch prayer group that meets each week, and Young Life and Wyld Life in the Middle and High schools. In fact, tomorrow our Moms in Touch group takes muffins to say "thank you" to all of our teachers and to gather prayer requests from each of the schools. We have regular, direct contact with all the schools in our district.

Here's my answer: We chose to put our kids in public school out of obedience to God. We stand by our decision, because we believe He led us to do so.

I am writing this because I have had some well-meaning friends challenge our decision to place our kids in public school. While I respect others who have chosen to homeschool their own children, or place them in a Christian school, Doug and I believe that God has called us to a different path. But I want to make it clear that I don't believe that our choice is God's will for everyone. This is a decision that each family should come to on their own, after much prayer and seeking God's will through His word.

Here are some scriptures that influenced our decision:

1. Phi 2:15 "...that you may prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world,"
2. Joh 17:14-18 "I have given them Thy word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. I do not ask Thee to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; Thy word is truth. As Thou didst send Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world."
3. Mar 16:15 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation."
4. Mat 28:18-20 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

How can our kids be a light in a dark world if they are never given the opportunity? How can they "love their neighbor as themselves" if they don't even know their neighbors? Why would God leave us on the earth just to segregate ourselves? Why would He command us to take the truth of his word to a lost world if he did not really mean for us to do it?

This morning at breakfast I told my kids about this whole discussion. Anna's comment was enlightening.

She said, "Mommy, I think they are forgetting that we have the power of the Holy Spirit within us. We know what is right, because we have that prompting in our hearts." My kids may be young, but they still have the full power of God within them.

Anna then added, "But that's also why it is so important to put our armor on every day. I can tell the days I don't have my quiet time before I go to school. It IS harder. But isn't that true for everyone, whether they are in public school or not?"

Whether kids are in public school, private school or homeschool--they are still going to be faced with temptation, and the enemy is still going to find ways to challenge their faith. We are in a spiritual battle. ALL Christians have to learn to own their beliefs, and ALL Christians are called to evangelize--regardless of age. I would rather be in the battle with my kids, and fight the enemy alongside them than give them head knowledge about the enemy, and hope they remember it all some day when they get ambushed.

Oh, Lord, I pray that the eyes of my children's hearts may be opened, so that they will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power towards us who believe. And Lord, show them they are who you say they are. Don't let them be intimidated by those who would look down on their youthfulness. But rather, in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, may they show themselves an example of those who believe.

11 comments:

Jamie Wootten said...

We homeschool. I would not give serious consideration to the thought of putting my kids in "most" public school systems-especially in our area. That being said I support 100% a parent's right to educate their child however they feel led to (public, private, Christian, homeschool, etc). No one should ever be made to feel guilty about their choice as long as they know that it is God's plan for their family.

The most important thing to consider is that as a parent you are responsible for raising your child to know God and His commandments (Duet. 6) That will only happen if a parent is making daily investments into their kids' lives. Regardless of the education system, parents must be involved. Kiki, I applaud you for what you seem to be doing for your kids. I'm sure God is honoring and blessing your home.

Bowden McElroy said...

We're fans of public schools: my wife and oldest daughter teach in the public schools and I teach a couple of courses at our local community college. That said, at various times we have utilized home schooling, private Christian schools, and public schools for our own children.

I don't understand any parent who is dogmatic about their choice of education for their children. As a counselor, I encourage parents to assess each child - every year - and chose according to the child's needs, the family's resources, and the available options.

Kiki Cherry said...

Jamie,

I was homeschooled the first few years of my life.

I agree with you that Deut. 6 is the key. And that is the central verse of my next post!!!

Parenting is a challenge, no matter how we choose to educate our kids. But I think you hit the nail on the head. It takes an intentional effort by us as parents, coupled with a LOT of prayer!!!!! : )

Kiki Cherry said...

Bowden,

I appreciate your comments, and totally agree with you.

The reason I wrote this post was because another friend, who is also a pastor in OK, wanted me to present my perspective on this.

Apparently there is going to be another motion made this year at Greensboro that all SBC parents should homeschool their kids or place them in private Christian school.

I just wanted to present the other side of it, from a family who sees our kid's involvement in public school as a ministry field.

Just yesterday my daughter was invited to a slumber party. And I had to laugh, because the parent (who I don't even know that well) told me that "she would choose a PG movie and clear it with us first, because she knows we are Christians and have high standards."

I don't openly publicize our beliefs and values. But somehow they are just "known" at school. I even have people come up and ask me to pray for them sometimes when they are going through a particular struggle.

Our kids see it as their mission field, too. Joshua has several friends that he is praying for by name to accept Christ. I believe Anna does, too, although she is much more private about her intimate walk with God.

Tim Sweatman said...

Kiki,

If that resolution makes it to the floor again this year, I would encourage you to take what you've written here and speak out against the resolution. If parents want to homeschool or send their children to Christian schools, I'm all for it (I attended a Christian school from 5th through 12th grade), but don't try to lay a guilt trip on parents who choose to send their children to public schools. Public school is the best option for many Christian families.

Kiki Cherry said...

Today is National Day of Prayer, and I'm getting ready to deliver muffins on behalf of Moms in Touch. Then later in the day there will be a city-wide prayer meeting around the municipal flag pole.

But when I went by my MIT leader's house to put together muffin baskets, I was sharing with her how I was feeling a little attacked in this whole public school/private school issue.

She took out a laminated copy of our Moms in Touch logo and gave it to me. "Our job is to be the light, not to curse the darkness."

'Nuff said. Thank you, Lord, for that encouragement today.

jettybetty said...

I am just lurking around the blog-world--and found this post. I applaud your cohesive thoughts. There is so much mis-understanding on this issue--and I think your way of dispelling some of the myths is excellent. Our children are all young adults now--and I did feel quite judged by some homeschoolers. We believed we were being obedient to God by putting them in PS--just as you do. I loved the comments by your children. I lead a Mom's in Touch group for years--what an incredible blessing! I encourage to remain faithful to what God has called you to do.

Anonymous said...

Although I think homeschooling is best, I know it's not possible for all families. What is important is parental involvement. Homeschooling is successful because the parents are very involved in raising their children. Any student with a caring and involved parent will perform better than the student whoose parents don't care. Children need parents who love them.

Alicia said...

I was excited to find your blog.
My husband and I have been called out of homeschooling and into the public school. I am looking for christ seeking mom's who are out there too. I'm hoping to create a list of links. I plan to put yours on there if that's okay with you. I look forward to your further reflections.

Alicia said...

I was excited to find your blog.
My husband and I have been called out of homeschooling and into the public school. I am looking for christ seeking mom's who are out there too. I'm hoping to create a list of links. I plan to put yours on there if that's okay with you. I look forward to your further reflections.

Alicia said...

I have created a special blog link list for mom's and teachers in the public schools. I am including you in that.
Today I posted why I'm doing this and what the burden is on my heart.
Thank you again for writing.