Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Honest letter from my heart

I realize that my last post on public school has stirred up some feelings. That was not my intent. If this is too touchy of a topic, then I will not continue to write on it.

It was actually meant to be a response to the concept that ALL Christians should homeschool or place their kids in private Christian school. We just simply do not believe that, and have not chosen either of those options for our own family.

But in no way would I say that we have arrived as parents. Anyone who knows my kids can testify to that. : ) They are great--but we still have so much to learn and a long way to go. And I have a feeling that we will continue to learn and grow and need to adapt some aspects of our thinking for the remainder of our lives.

But let me share from my heart. The deepest desires I have for my kids is for them to pursue God with all their hearts, to worship in spirit and truth and in every aspect of their lives, and to lead others to a relationship with Christ.

The first two things--knowing God more and worshipping Him wholeheartedly, are things we will be still doing and learning for the rest of eternity. While those are absolutely the first priorities, I realize that they will be able to do both of those things even more perfectly in heaven.

But our third desire for them--that they would lead others to Christ--has a time limit. It is an activity that will only occur here on earth.

We realize that. We know that our time here on earth is short and that we have to maximize that time. I already have regrets personally for opportunities missed and time wasted. I want my kids to be able to look back from their death bed and know that they used their time here on earth wisely. I want so much for them to see people in heaven who they had a part in pointing to Christ.

We feel like Pennsylvania is the land that God has called us to, and that he has placed us here to be a light. We want to be obedient to that call as a family. And part of that calling is to become part of the community here and to plant our lives here.

For us personally, that involves placing our kids in public school and trusting God to protect them as we step out and follow him in obedience. But in no way does that negate their spiritual education at home, or our responsibility as parents to raise them in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

8 comments:

angie said...

Kiki,
I appreciate your post so much. Thanks for sharing your heart. I'm also concerned when others want to dictate how we should educate our children. I hope that resolution you mentioned is just a horrible rumor. It sounds very isolationist to me...what about being salt and light?

As an IMB M we have had to use all kinds of options. Our kids have gone to an mk school, public school while in the US, homeschool, and now they are in a national school using a Swiss curriculum taught in English. My two oldest children are planning to attend boarding school for high school in 2007. Not sure I am ready for that! However, I am grateful that the IMB values our MKs and allows us freedom within what is available in our setting.

Glad you are back in the blogosphere!
angie

RMc said...

We have talked about this subject before!!! I appreciate the decision you and your family have made concerning the education of your children. Sounds like they are right where they need to be at this time.

I tell people fairly regularly that I will tell them in 20 years whether or not our decision to homeschool was a good one. We make the best decision we can with His insight, leading, etc, and go from there.

IMHO, another homeschooling resolution would be a joke.

Kiki Cherry said...

Angie,

Thanks for posting.

I know what you mean about MKs and schooling--my brother and I were homeschooled, public schooled, and went to boarding school at a private American school in Johannesburg--which was in a totally different country from Mom and Dad.

My parents grounded me well in the things of the Lord. And even thought the American school was pretty hedonistic, I could handle it because I expected people who were unbelievers to act like unbelievers.

What blindsided me, though, was the dualistic Christian subculture I found when we returned to the States on furlough.

I attempted suicide my Senior year, after a terrible relationship. My boyfriend was a leader in his youth group and FCA Athlete of the Year for the whole state. But he also pressured me to have sex, and had a lot of double standards.

I encountered that same kind of thing at my private Christian college. I had friends who would be totally wasted on weekends, then leading the devotional in Noonday the next week. Several were having sex. The whole thing was very confusing, and I found myself falling into the same kind of hypocritical lifestyle.

I also did not truly understand grace at that point, and had a very legalistic mindset. I remember a friend confiding in me that he struggled with attraction to other men. He had also been molested when he was younger.

I totally handled it the wrong way, and responded with disgust and judgment. You don't know how many times since then I have wished I could go back and have a second chance in that situation.

I had two pretty abusive relationships in college, too--one with the son of a Seminary professor. Some of the people I mentioned above were homeschooled or went to Christian school. I saw no great difference in their lives and the lives of those who were public schooled.

I also knew some great people of solid character in college, and they came from a variety of educational backgrounds.

But my point is that the kind of education we give our kids does not automatically innoculate them against the temptations of the world.

Kiki Cherry said...

Rodney,

Your girls sound great, and seem as solid as can be. Maybe it is because they were homeschooled. I don't question your decision for a minute.

But I have a feeling it has even more to do with the fact that they have had two great parents who deeply love the Lord, honestly seek Him, who have taken some huge steps of obedience, and who pray for their kids a lot.

RMc said...

Kiki

I think you hit the nail squarely, and drove it home with that one statement. I'm not sure whether one's choice of education for their children is the most important factor. I think it has more to do with the grace of God in His dealings with us rather than any other thing. Our kids parents are not perfect, far from being anything close to it.

It sounds like you were describing me pretty well during a time in my life where I was talking with one voice and living another life. BTW - it had nothing to do with where I went to school, and everything with character (or lack thereof.)

Savage Baptist said...

I've said a lot of things about public school, but the one concession I always make is that the number one most important factor in academic success is significant parental involvement. Getting that right is the most important thing.

Kiki Cherry said...

Bill,

Thanks for sharing your story. That was really encouraging.

It was great, too, to hear that you were there as a layperson and a Christian.

We are becoming convinced that Christian laypeople are the real future of ministry.

Doug and I are open to going overseas, if God ever called--but not through a mission agency. Doug has considered getting an MBA and working for an international corporation.

It would allow us to integrate more naturally into the culture, and gives more validity with the general public. Doug would be a businessman, who also happens to be a serious follower of Christ.

But for now, we know we are where God wants us. So we are content to teach that same philosophy to our students.

We have nine students who will be going out at the end of this month to be salt and light in the corporate world. We can't wait to see what all God will do through them.

Kiki Cherry said...

Bill,

I understand what you mean about struggling to re-integrate into American culture. I deal with that, too.

I have finally accepted the fact that I will forever be a "third-culture" kid.

I was just emailing a friend I grew up with in Zimbabwe, who was a Nazarene missionary kid from Sweden. In doing so, I was thinking how my friends are spread out all over the world.

I will never be fully American. My culture is just too global.