Friday, May 12, 2006

When Perseverance Pays Off


Today I overcame on obstacle in my life that has haunted me for years now. After 2,862 attempts at Spider Solitaire, I finally won a game.

"Why is this relevant?" you ask. "Why should I care?"

Bear with me......I really do have a spiritual application here.

I love 2 Corinthians 4. It is one of those passages that has gotten me through so many times in ministry when I am exhausted and just want to give up.

I had hoped to see more results in our ministry this past year than we did. There are so many students who I truly believed would accept Christ this year but who did not. I claimed and truly believed the promise of Psalm 126:5-6. "Those who sow in tears shall reap with joyful shouting. He who goes to and fro weeping, carrying his bag of seed, Shall indeed come again with a shout of joy, bringing his sheaves with him."

God did not choose to work in the way I had expected this past year. But He is God, and His plans and timing are far better than mine.

Sometimes I want to give up. I am tired of sterile, dry, intellectual Christianity. I want so much to KNOW Him. I want to be clearer in my understanding of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I want Him to be able to use me with the power and authority that He intended for His children to exercise. I want to please His heart, and be a light that draws people to Him.

So even when it may feel like I am never going to "win", and that I am fighting a losing battle, I know in my heart of hearts that I MUST persevere.

And someday, whether here on earth or not until I get to heaven, I am confident that I will see the results and obtain the reward.

Gal 6:9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.

3 comments:

francie said...

way to go! -- can you help mey win at addiction solitare? -- i usually cheat at spider and set it for beginner

i think you are the queen of illustrations -- i surrender my title!

thanks for the life lesson

Savage Baptist said...

I'm not particularly enamored of sterile, dry, intellectual Christianity, either. I prefer a vibrant, warm, loving, intellectual Christianity. :)

The point is well taken, though: all the knowledge in the world is quite useless under at least one circumstance: "...if I...understand all mysteries and all knowledge...but have not love, I am nothing."

Marty Duren said...

Spider solitare? Sad, sad, little woman.