Monday, May 08, 2006

God's calling is not safe

WARNING: Contains some graphic material.




(top)Rhodesian soldiers charge into battle, with bayonets drawn. Soldiers would often stop by our mission station. I remember one time, when I was about 5, a troop came by our house after a skirmish like this. They had the body of a terrorist thrown in the back of their truck, and blood was still dripping from the bayonet of his AK47.
(middle) Funeral of the Elim missionaries
(bottom) Authorities gather remains after a viscount passenger plane was shot out of the sky near Kariba. Our friends, Jeremy and Karen, died in that crash. They were returning from their honeymoon. To make matters worse, terrorists found the crash site and shot many of the survivors.


Last year I visited with fellow MK Aaron Hood. We were talking about his life in Colombia, and my heart broke as he told how his Dad was murdered in front of their house in Bogota.

Another MK I know watched her mother be brutally gang raped at gunpoint.

And a third MK was herself assaulted and gang raped by a group of men in an Arab nation, while returning from babysitting for another missionary family.

I could tell you story after story like that.

For years I questioned why God would allow horrific things to happen to families who had given their all to follow Him.

It has only been in the past few months that God has given me peace in this area.

The healing really started for me last Fall. About that same time, Dr. Jerry Rankin, president of the International Mission Board, came to our state convention. As he started his message that night, I knew I wouldn't be able to stay in the room. I had heard him preach this sermon twice before.

I went to the back of the sanctuary and slumped down on the floor in the corner. My heart was pounding, and hot tears burned my face as he recounted the stories of missionaries who had lost their lives on the field. The way he told it made their deaths sound so noble and romantic.

But inside I was screaming, "It's NOT that way!!! It's scary, and horrifying, and UNFAIR!!!"

Afterwards I went up to him, and blurted some emotional response through my tears. I'm not even sure what I said, but it was something like, "those were real people to me, not just names in a story. I'm not okay with all of that."

I'll never forget his reaction. It was so kind and compassionate. He did not try to explain the suffering away as being "God's will." He did not make light of my feelings, or treat them as trite and irrelevant.

Instead, he took my hands in his, and with tears in his own eyes, said, "I know, Kiki, I know."

His actions spoke volumes. With that one gesture, he communicated, "I don't fully understand it either. And it hurts me, too. But God is good. God is Sovereign. And one day we will fully understand the purpose of 'lives given, not taken.'"

Not long after that, I asked my parents why we had stayed in such a dangerous place. My Dad responded with empathy but conviction. He said, "I cannot make an apology for the call of God on our lives."

I am finally coming to a place where I can accept what it means to "take up the cross and follow Me." I can't say I fully understand, but I do know that God is good. I know that God is Sovereign. And our time here on earth is just one small part of a bigger story.

I am also learning that the fullness of God's grace and glory seems to shine brightest when set against the backdrop of man's depravity. In the darkest times God's love and mercy are fully illuminated.

I've been asked to share more about my past, but haven't wanted to or really known how to until recently. I was between 8 and 10 during the worst years of the war. So I'll reveal a segment of that time period with you.....


1978 was a stressful year for our family. The war had gotten bad. We had grenade shields on our windows, and most of my friends went to school in armored trucks. Landmines and ambushes were common hazards on the road. We had forced military curfews--no one could go out at night. Travel between cities only occured in armed convoys. Everyone carried firearms--even to church.

Terrorist attacks on mission stations had increased. We had already been forced off of the Sessami station, and were now on a station outside Gwelo.


A few months before, my friend Pieter Brand had lost his Mom and Dad in an ambush. They had been going to one of their preaching points on a Sunday morning, when the terrorists cut them off on the road and shot them in cold blood.

Terrorists struck again on June 15th. We got word from our Sanyati station that missionary Archie Dunaway (one of my favorite "uncles") was missing. He was a sweet man, who absolutely loved MKs and spoiled us rotten. Whenever we would go visit him in Sanyati, he would have a big cookout on the anthill. We also liked playing with his little chihuahua, Joe. The two of them were inseparable.

So when his truck was found that horrible night, with Joe still inside, we all knew something had happened. His body was discovered a few hours later. He had been bayoneted numerous times, and the African people were forced to stand around and laugh as he died.

The next day we all evacuated to the MK home in the city. Whole families were jammed into tiny rooms.

About the same time, we learned from security forces that my Dad's name was on a terrorist hit list.


Eight days later, a mission station on the Eastern border was attacked and entire families were murdered. Here is the newspaper report......

On the night of June 23, 1978, Elim Mission in the Rhodesian Eastern Highlands was subjected to the worst massacre of missionaries yet experienced. Terry Blocksidge reported in the Sunday Mail (Salisbury):

Eight British missionaries and four young children - including a three-week-old baby - were bayoneted to death by terrorists on Rhodesia’s Eastern border on Friday night in the worst massacre of whites since the six-year-old war began.

Three of the missionaries were men and the others women.

A sixth woman was stabbed and beaten and left for dead. She staggered 300 m into the freezing Vumba bush to spend the night before being found semi-conscious by security forces yesterday. Despite intensive care in a Salisbury hospital she subsequently died.

The gruesome murders, by a group of eight to 10 terrorists, happened at Emmanuel Mission School - 15 km south-east of Umtali and 8 km from the Mozambique border - once used as the Eagle boarding school.

The dead, who belonged to the Elim Pentecostal Church, were:

* Mr. Peter McCann (30), his wife, Sandra (also 30), son Phillip (six) and daughter Joy (five).

* The Rev. Phillip Evans (29), his wife, Suzan (35), and their daughter Rebecca (four).

* Mr. Roy Lynn (37), his wife, Joyce (36), and their daughter Pamela Grace. She would have been three weeks old yesterday.

* Catherine Picken (55) and Elizabeth Wendy Hamilton- White (37).

* Miss Mary Fisher (28).

Most of the women had been sexually assaulted, and one mutilated.

The children had been dragged from their beds. Two children were in yellow pyjamas, one with a red dressing gown, and a third in a flowery nightdress.

One child had her tiny thumbs clenched in her palms.

Even hardened security men were stunned by the bloody scene and stood around silently. “The quiet is uncanny”, said one.

Mr. Brian Chapman, director of the Church in Rhodesia and South Africa, visited the scene yesterday. He said: “We saw no humanity here.”

The massacre began shortly before 8.30 p.m. when the white families were forced by the terrorists from their homes and classrooms, and marched to a playing field.

Near the sports pavilion, about 400 m from the main school, they were split into groups, then beaten with lengths of wood and logs, and stabbed.

When security forces reached the scene yesterday, the full horror on the cold, mist-and-rain shrouded Vumba mountainside confronted them:

A mother, beaten to death, lay with her young baby. The baby had also been savagely beaten.

Their arms stretched out to each other, their hands resting an inch apart. The child’s hand was clenched.

The mother had a hand squeezed tightly around her engagement ring, turned into her palm, as she reached for her baby in her dying moments.

Nearby, another woman had died from an axe-wound - the weapon still protruded from her shoulder and two men, one with his hands tied behind his back, lay beaten and slashed to death.

A blood-soaked chunk of wood had been dropped near to them.

Three children lay in a pitiful huddle, with two women’s bodies next to them.

Some had raised their arms to defend themselves from the brutal blows.

Witnesses say that the missionaries were praying for their perpetrators as they died. Since then, several of those terrorists have come to faith in Christ. And the work that these brave missionaries started is being carried on today by Zimbabwean nationals.

Richard Smith, son of retired Elim missionaries, reports that "the leader of the rebels became a born-again Christian a number of years after the fact and was able to meet with Peter Griffiths (who was back in the UK at the time of the massacre)".

There were also two children who were away from the mission at the time of the massacre--Timothy and Rachel Evans. They lost their parents and little sister. I don't really know where they are now, but wonder what their perspective would be.

Matt. 16:24-25 "Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it."

Murder of Missionaries in Rhodesia

Anatomy of Terror

22 comments:

Savage Baptist said...

Powerful stuff--too powerful for me to comment on. Anything I could say would detract from the impact.

I linked to it on both blogs.

Bless you, sister.

art rogers said...

Kiki,

This is one of the most powerful things I have ever read. I know it was hard to live through this and dredging it up must be hard as well.

Thank you, though, for sharing. It gives us great perspective.

Ronnie Thompson said...

Kiki,

I posted a prayer on my blog about a month ago. I think you and my 19 year old daughter may have been the only ones who read it. She called me at lunch and you both prayed for me. It was one of the best days of my life and I won't bore you with the details, but God intervened as only he can.

Thank you for praying.

Anonymous said...

Kiki, When my eyes fixed on Aaron Hood, I had to write you. My husband, Ike, and I were dorm parents at Ouachita after we retired as teachers on the Mexican border in Arizona. Aaron was living in our dorm when his Dad was killed. Nothing could have been worse. In fact, we talked to Jerry Rankin (and his wife) about this horrendous experience when we saw them at Gloriete that summer. Our relationships with MKs was a highlight of our 12 years in Daniel Dorm. We know your parents also.
Love and prayers,
Billie Geurin Sharp

Kevin Bussey said...

Wow! Put's things in perspective.

Tim Sweatman said...

Kiki,

No wonder you really haven't wanted to share much about your past. I can't even begin to imagine the things you have lived through. Your dad's words are true, but it still had to be hard to accept why your family stayed in such a dangerous situation. I'm sure this post was painful for you to write, but we need to be reminded that missions work is not some sort of romantic or glamorous excursion; it is dangerous, difficult, and painful, and it is spiritual warfare. Thank you.

Jeff Richard Young said...

Dear Mrs. Cherry,

I love your husband, your children, and you very much. It gives me mixed joy and sorrow to hear you recounting what happened. Thank you very much for sharing it.

Love in Christ,

Jeff

Jamie Wootten said...

Kiki,

I'm speechless.

If it's appropriate- I simply say thank you and God bless you.

J. Guy Muse said...

Like others have already commented, it is hard to know HOW to respond to such a post.

Thanks for getting your thoughts together to share this with us. I have heard Dr. Rankin point out the fallacy of the common saying, "the safest place to be is in the center of God's will." This is just not so. He would completely agree with the title of your post.

I just got through reading Micah Fries post on "An Emotional Read" which is a post about the five missionaries speared to death in the eastern jungles of Ecuador in 1956. I grew up and went to boarding school in Quito with some of the children of these slain M's. It is a powerful story and one that has affected me personally my entire life, including my own call as a missionary. In my Bible, at Gen.22 I have a quote that has spoken deeply to me which says, "There are some sacrifices that God will not ask of man; but there are none man should be unwilling to offer God."

nitequill said...

When I reflect upon the graphic images that your words have etched in my soul, so many thoughts and questions unfold. I think of how you lived day to day with out choice, in a world of danger. Although they are not in the same exact situation, I think of the child abused children who live with out choice, right here under our very noses. They live in terror with out any hope of escape, at the hand of their own parents.

I go on to wonder...was the fine masterpiece that you have become today directly sculpted by your sufferings? This lends me to believe that if these abused children are rescued in time, perhaps they too have a productive future to secure. The terror that you managed to project upon your blog was dwarfed in comparison to the horror that you conveyed when expressing to us the depth of your feelings at the loss of one of your loved ones. This is what makes you a hero. Your love far exceeds your pain.

The diseases of war have not corrupted you, instead what the enemy has planted to destroy you has made you an instrument of Gods peace. Your war is not fought against flesh and blood but against spiritual wickedness in high places and I am glad that you emerged on the winning side.

The race is not given to the swift, nor to the strong but to the one who endures to the end.

Sister, there is no doubt that you have already endured to the end because you obviously live in victory. Be encouraged because your testimony is an extremely encouraging one and touches upon many more levels than I have been able to comment on. Be blessed for you are a blessing.

Thank you for the courage to bring this gift to us.
Love in Christ,
Nightquill
http://nitequill.blogspot.com

Kiki Cherry said...

Ronnie,

I have been praying for you regularly, and wondering how you have been.

Glad to hear that God is answering. He is Faithful!!!!

Kiki Cherry said...

Mrs. Billie!!!!

Hi! I'm so honored that you came and posted on my blog!

I am thankful that you were there at Ouachita for Aaron, and for so many others of us. You have no idea how many lives you have impacted over the years.

I think we had the best dorm parents ever at OBU. I can't count the number of times Mom Chu wiped away my tears. We love you guys, and are thankful for your ministry in Arkadelphia.

Kiki Cherry said...

Thanks to all of you for your kind words.

But I also want to mention our African pastors and their families. One of the lesser documented aspects of the war was the intense persecution against Christians.

I hardly know of any of our church leaders who were untouched. Most were assaulted, their wives and daughters raped. Yet they stood strong.

One of our deacons had his arms and legs cut off, and then the terrorists threw him in the river and said, "Let's see if Christians can swim."

"Hapana naJesu" ("Down with Jesus") was a cry that accompanied much of the terrorist activity.

But on the other side of the coin: two of my parent's best friends had their son kidnapped from his school one day. He was taken to an indoctrination camp and brainwashed to become a terrorist, much like what is occurring in Uganda today. He ended up being one of the most heinous terrorist leaders.

It was heartbreaking for their family. Some of you would probably know them--they attended Ouachita and Southwestern seminary, and are such precious and godly people. But what do you do when you still love your child, but not what he has become?

We have a friend living in Georgia now, whose Dad was one of our pastors at Sessami. Ruth herself escaped recently from Zimbabwe, and her story is incredible. She is an AMAZING woman, and one whose family endured much persecution during the war.

Kiki Cherry said...

nitequill,

I appreciate you bringing up the issue of abused and neglected children.

That is a subject close to our hearts, after being in children's home ministry for 10 years.

We started as houseparents, which was both the toughest and the most rewarding thing I have ever done. We had 8 boys. They were so tough sometimes, but yet so resilient.

We are incredibly proud of who they have grown up to be in spite of their circumstances. My littlest one will be graduating from high school this year. He was six when we got him, and has grown up in an institution. I'm pretty concerned for him, but still pray for every one of them. We have stayed especially close to two brothers, Jessie and Jason. Jessie is fighting in Kuwait right now.

One of our boys was killed in a car accident when he was 16. We still don't really know where he stood with Christ. That hurts.

We stopped houseparenting when Anna was born (it was too dangerous with the level of kids we had). We moved to Dallas, where Doug worked in lockdown at a Residential Treatment Center, then later with juvenile delinquents in Oak Cliff and South Dallas. Before we left he also started an after-school program in Royal Haven, and we started a Kids Club and planted a church in our apartment complex.

I have to say that lock-down was tough for him. It has made us wonder if there really are kids so broken that they are "unredeemable". That sounds harsh---but when kids have been prostituted out from infancy, and never experienced healthy love, they become dehumanized. Most of those boys will be in an institution for the remainder of their lives. All of them have attachment disorder, and some are even so physically messed up from the abuse that they cannot function normally.

Man's inhumanity to man angers me. But a parent's inhumanity to their own child angers me more. I cannot fathom selling your baby to a pervert just to get another hit.

The last five years before moving to PA, Doug was the Advocacy Director for Oklahoma Baptist Homes for Children. He created a program that helps teachers, law enforcement officials, and lay people know how to appropriately respond to abuse and neglect.

Our time at OBHC was great. We had an incredible ministry "family" there, great kids, and the best houseparents anywhere around. I miss them all tremendously.

They were also incredibly supportive of our move to PA, even allowing us to live on campus while we raised our support. They always allowed me to work around my family, and understood that my kids were a priority.

Kiki Cherry said...

Jeff,

Sometimes Oklahoma is not safe, either!!!!

Weren't you the person who called the police after the Edmond post office shooting?

And Brian was downtown when the OKC bombing occurred.

Doug and I were in the middle of the May 3rd tornado, and our Wal-mart in Hugo also had a shooting that killed 5 people. We would have been there buying groceries, but had overslept that day.

So maybe the most dangerous place to be is....Oklahoma????

Ronnie Thompson said...

Kiki,

I must admit I didn't read your post before I left a comment. I had only seen your response to my post and wanted to say thank you. I have now read your post and I must say it is good that I did not go into details because the problems I faced that day were amazingly trivial in comparison to what I've just read. Thank you for praying for me regularly. I have also prayed for you and Doug and your ministry.

There was a time I thought Oklahoma was the safest place in the world but after reading the list of all the tragedies (and a few I remember that weren't on your list) I'm not so sure. I still love it here though.

Paul Fries said...

Thank you for sharing...I am overwhelmed.

Paul

Gary Snowden said...

Kiki,

Thanks for sharing your heart with us again. We went through missionary orientation and language school in Costa Rica with Charlie and Becky Hood. Charlie would frequently relay ham radio signals for us from Argentina to the States from his home in Bogota. I still remember the shock I experienced upon learning of his death. Prior to going to the mission field, he served as minister of education in the church where I currently serve as associate pastor. I didn't know that before coming here. Thanks again for the heart-wrenching post.

Anonymous said...

Kiki,

Totally moving and powerful. Thank you for your openness to share this with us.

Anonymous said...

I came across your story quite by accident. I was a teenager at the time of Elim Lission massacre and I still remember vividly the pictures of the little girl (about 3 years old) who was murdered. This incident was one of the most disturbing in my life - and I wasn't there nor dis I know any of the victims.

I must admit to wondering at the time though why the missionaries would put themselves in such a dangerous situation. It was almost as though they thought it would not happen to them. Does anyone have a perspective on this?

Kiki Cherry said...

Anonymous,

It was pretty common knowledge during the war that missionaries were a target. After the American Embassy pulled out, we were given the option to leave the country.

Many missionaries did leave. But some, like my parents, felt like God told them to stay.

I don't know for a fact, but would assume that the Elim missionaries were given the same option. So it comes down to believing enough in the work they were doing to be willing to stay at all costs.

I do know of one detail, though, that may have been a factor in this case. There was huge debate at the time as to whether it was right for missionaries to arm and defend themselves. Many people (including our denomination) said that it was wrong for a servant of God to carry a gun. (Although my own father, against the advice of our authorities, wore a pistol in a shoulder holster).

The Elim missionaries came to the conclusion that they should not own weapons. So they had just turned all of their guns in the week before and were unarmed.

That has always been a sensitive point. Did the terrorists know they got rid of their guns? Probably. Did it make them an easier target? Probably.

But unfortunately it has also been used by some self-defense advocates to label the Elim missionaries as "ungodly" or "unChristlike" for not defending their families.

But they knew where their eternal destiny was. They were willing to give their lives. And they trusted God with whatever His will might be.

It's a hard issue to understand. I can't say I fully comprehend it to this day. But God could have protected them. He did not choose to do so.

All I know is that many of those rebel leaders have since become Christians. The perpetrators were victims themselves. They had been kidnapped as children and taken to "indoctrination camps" where they were brainwashed.

The leader of the group is now an evangelist. One of our missionaries even interviewed him. He came to Christ as a result of the Elim massacre.

Bob Cleveland said...

Kiki:

I just happened into this posting when I searched on Archie Dunaway's name. I too am speechless.


Luke 12:48: But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. (NIV)

I think the inverse is true ... much is given to those of whom much is required. I am sure that's the case with you.

God bless.