Tuesday, August 29, 2006

"You can't leave God out of prayer"


Last night as I was preparing dinner, Joshua came in with an intense look on his face. "Mommy," he said. "I think I'm going to put a note in my teacher's 'I have a problem' box."

I stopped cooking to give him my full attention. "One of our spelling words this week is 'pray' ", he explained, "and the definition that we were given for it is 'to hope very much.' That's just wrong. You can't leave God out of prayer."

Later in the evening, he decided to also write the publisher of his spelling book. So I helped him find the contact info and send an email.

Here's what he wrote:


Dear Houghton-Mifflin:

One of my spelling words this week is
"pray". Your Reading Vocabulary book says that it means "to hope very much."

That's wrong. To pray is to talk to God. Webster's dictionary even
defines it as "to talk to God."

Thanks.

Joshua

Son, I have another definition for you. It's the word "conviction", and it means "to have the courage to stand up for what you believe."

We're proud of you, kiddo.

6 comments:

Gary Snowden said...

What a neat story! I don't know Josh but I'm very proud of the stand that he took and rejoice with you all that he is displaying the courage of his convictions.

Bob Cleveland said...

Wow. That is soooo cool!

I think God sends these "gumdrops" into our lives to sweeten them up, and occasionally tell us we're on the right track.

I dare say y'all are.

francie said...

now if he could only teach me how to spell them!!

praise God for your gift in Joshua! thank you for sharing sister!

may your week be blessed and may you see God moving on your campus!

i know we already have at geneva -- despite what my eyes see, my God is working/moving/ and so much in control!
francie

Taran said...

It sounds like you did an excellent job at dealing with this as a teachable moment. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Great story!

Great witness by Joshua!

Great parenting!

Caren said...

That is so cool! I hope some day my daughters have the courage to stand up for what they believe in, and that I will take the time to teach them about God.