Saturday, August 05, 2006

Sad Loss for Arkansas

My mom called today to tell me that KATV Sports Director Paul Eels was killed in a car accident Monday night.

I had the privilege of knowing Paul for a Summer, and he was as genuine in person as he comes across on television.

I did my internship at Channel 7 (KATV) in Little Rock while I was in college. I learned quickly what a hedonistic and brutal world broadcasting can be.

But Paul was always cheerful, and a constant encourager. He never took himself too seriously, and did not have the big head you would expect someone known as the "Voice of the Razorbacks" to display.

He was great to us interns--and was incredibly patient, even when we messed up. I remember one night I had been cussed out by a producer for a glitch in the teleprompter that night. I was close to tears, and very much aware of my status as "bottom of the food chain." Paul put a very fatherly hand on my shoulder, and told me not to let it get to me. Ironically, HE was the one who my mistake had hurt--it occurred during the sports segment.

I did not realize that he was a Christian until recently, just because we never talked about it. But Jeff, a sports reporter under Paul, was open about his faith, and there was a stark contrast between the spirit of the sports department and the rest of the station.

It was so cool to discover that Paul had also loved the Lord. It just read this article from "Spirit" magazine, and was excited to hear from others how he has been a key player in planting New Life Church, which has multiple campuses in the Little Rock area.

My prayers are with his family, and I hurt for them. Arkansas lost a very kind, fun and noble man this week. TOUCHDOWN ARKANSAS!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was at OBU we never missed his 10 pm fish report that reported when peak hours were and where. We'd head to the Ouachita River, Lake Degray or up to Hot Springs, sometimes at 2 am. He was right more times than not and because of him directing us to the right place at the right time, we once caught a spoonbill catfish, the only one I've ever seen.

Kiki Cherry said...

Chris,

Did you get a picture of your catfish? That's pretty cool!

Chris Walls said...

Never was an Arkansas fan during our days at OBU, but I always had the utmost respect for Paul. I know he will be missed.