Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Whoa













I had an overwhelming experience yesterday. And I'm still processing it. But I also have a sense of hope through this that I haven't had in a long time.

This has been a tough season of my life. We have been so isolated here in the ministry.

I've also been really questioning my call as a woman in ministry. Even though I know what God Himself has told me, I also hear the voice of leaders in our denomination telling me that I can't be who I am called to be. So I live under that constant tension, confusion and pressure.

Those who know me well will tell you I have not been myself for a while. So yesterday I decided to join a Bible Study group that was recommended by a local counselor. It meets on Tuesdays, which is my day off campus.

But what I found at this study caught me off guard. First of all, the teacher was this dear, funny lady who has been in full-time ministry for over 21 years. She also happens to be 84 years old, and talks about God in such a warm, personal way that it's as if He is standing next to her in the room.

The group ranged in age from early 20s through senior adults. But there was something unique about them from the moment I walked in. They were so REAL and transparent. Each lady was at a different point in her journey, but it was so clear that they were deeply in love with Christ and had a reverence for the Word of God.

They were also not afraid to speak openly and freely. There were questions asked and statements made that I had never heard in a Bible Study before. Raw, genuine questions like, "why does the Bible teach that premarital sex is wrong?"

I realized that most of these women had come to Christ later in lives and were free from the influences of church culture. Since they were at all different stages of their walk, and did not know yet how to play the Christian "game", there were no questions/comments that were off limits. It was SOOOO refreshing.

It also occurred to me that they had not yet been given the list of "THOU SHALT NOTS FOR WOMEN" that those of us who have grown up in church have lived under. Every single woman in that room was plugged into ministry of some sort, even though they were all wives and mothers and some were even fairly new believers. There was no wrestling with "Can I do this if I'm female?" or "should I wait until I'm more grounded in my faith?" There was this general attitude of "how can I keep from sharing what God has done in my life?!!!!"

We were studying the parable of the Good Samaritan. We had just passed the part where the man was beaten up, and began discussing the role of the thieves in the story. We all agreed that they represent satan, who has come to "steal, kill and to destroy." We discussed how satan's goal is to defeat us and keep us from fulfilling God's call on our life.

But the next part hit me between the eyes. The teacher said, "Did you notice where the next source of pain comes from, though? Who ignored the man when he was at his point of greatest need? How often do you see the Law and the Church abandoning the hurting Christian?"

That did it. I started to sob. Thirty seven years of deep wounds started to come out. That was me. I have felt such pain from my church and denomination.

I realized these women have a freedom in Christ that I don't. They don't even have a concept of what I mean when I speak of the bondage I feel as a woman in the church. I couldn't even really voice it. I just sobbed.

Do you know what they did next, though? They did not treat me like a freak for breaking down. They didn't scold me for being too emotional or for stating that church authorities can be hurtful and mean.

They surrounded me and laid hands on me and prayed for me.

I can't tell you what that was like.

I realized something yesterday. We didn't spend the majority of our time in there talking about the opinions of biblical authorities, or the accomplishments of noted personalities, or church doctrine, or programs, or church history, or philosophy.

We talked about God. We discussed how amazing, wonderful, loving, graceful, kind, patient, creative and personal He is. And when our eyes were looking up, rather than vertical, there was such freedom in Christ, not bondage.

I'm still not really sure what happened yesterday. My head is still spinning. But I want what those women have. And I want to find that freedom to be who I am called to be by my Lord and Savior.

16 comments:

SBC Layman said...

Kiki,

Our prayers are with you and many from your home church support your struggle.

May we all be convicted to spend more time humbled in His presence than confounding men with our doctrine.

Phil 3:8-9 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from {the} Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which {comes} from God on the basis of faith,

Troy Jackson

Gary Snowden said...

Kiki,

I rejoice with you in the wonderful experience that you had with the other women in the Bible study group yesterday. I wish that we as Baptists could read the NT without our "gender lenses" on for awhile, or at the least, that we could be open to alternative interpretations of passages that so many adamantly insistent preclude women in ministry. You might want to check out a couple of interesting articles about women in ministry posted on Ethics Daily today at http://www.ethicsdaily.com/.

David Phillips said...

Kiki,

I'm in the middle of a DMIN class that is very boring - we're learning to use some software! - and know that I rejoice with you in the finding of a wonderful lady and group who can love on you. I know it is an answer to your prayers - it also something I've been praying for you!

Blessings and we'll chat later :-D

Caren said...

I'm so glad you've found this. I really hope you can grow and enjoy our Saviour without all the doctrine! I'm so glad for you...

Dionna said...

Kiki, I am so sorry that your heart has been hurt so deeply. I am glad God led you to that group - to help you see some things. I pray it's just the beginning of some healing for you. :)

Paul Burleson said...

Kiki,

He answered "yes". Enjoy

Paul

Savage Baptist said...

Hmmmm. Hmmmm. Hmmmm. I'm not the greatest person to have around during the discussion of emotions, so I ain't gonna say much...

'cept this: You didn't talk about doctrine? I say you did. You talked about how loving and wonderful God and His work are, and that is very doctrinal indeed...

J. Guy Muse said...

Whoa, what a great post! So much of what you write are things we too feel and struggle with. Your openness to share these things is refreshing to us all. This is real life going on and I for one am pleased that the Lord has so graciously given you this gift of people for this time in your life. The Lord is so good about ministering to us in just the way that we need it. Whisper a prayer for us too, we too struggle with much of what you write and long for that kind of Body Life that truly ministers and nurtures one another.

Angie said...

I wanta go with you next week! ;-)

Jeff Richard Young said...

Dear Mrs. Cherry,

I don't think I understand this very well. What exactly do you believe God has called you to do that you have heard teachers in the church telling you that the Bible prohibits you from doing?

Love in Christ,

Jeff

Kiki Cherry said...

Thanks, guys for all the encouragement. Last night was our first large group worship on campus. And as our intern, Adam, stood up to share at one point, I reflected back to the very lost, sad, destitute kid that who was Adam at this time last year. We poured our hearts out for that kid, and agonized for his salvation.

Now he is this strong, godly, GLOWING young man with a passion for God and for reaching the nations.

Wow. The power of a changed life.

That's why I continue to pursue what God has called me to, even when the journey gets tough.

Kiki Cherry said...

Jeff,

What are your motives in asking this question?

Jeff Richard Young said...

Dear Mrs. Cherry,

My motive is exactly what I stated---I do not understand what you are getting at, and never have. I've heard or read you mention the idea several times, that you feel called to something that church leaders say you're not supposed to do. What is it? And what leaders said you aren't supposed to do it?

Dear Light Horse, what in the world do you mean by "war on women in SBC life"? I am a pastor in an SBC church, and I assure you I have not engaged in a single attack on any woman, much less participated in any "war" on women in general. What do you mean, and who exactly is waging the war?

Love in Christ,

Jeff

jettybetty said...

I wanna go to this one, too! I am pretty sure I understand exactly where you are coming from. What a refreshing group!

Ross Garner said...

Hi Kiki

I am moved by your post which I found via Guy Muse's blog. It is so refreshing when believers get real. It allows the Holy Spirit to move powerfully into those places where the light and the love of Christ needs to shine ... even in the hearts of those who have been Christians for a very long time.

For some years now I have been a great fan of cell church which encourages openness and honesty in small groups like the one you visited. I pray that many more folk will come and discover this true koinonia - fellowship of the Holy Spirit.

Campbell Dunson said...

WHoa.
I thought I was the only one.
wow
praying for you,
cam