Saturday, July 01, 2006

Lost and Homesick in the Bible Belt

We just spent the last few days in Branson with both sets of our parents. Doug's father has some time-share property, and took us all there for some R & R. We did have a great visit with our parents, and some much-needed away time with our kids. But the experience also had a profound effect on our perspective of the Bible Belt.

On our second day there, we warily agreed to attend one of the resort's sales presentations. It would give my father-in-law a discount on his annual maintenance fees, and we would receive free tickets to Silver Dollar City.

But God had a different purpose and agenda for the meeting. We came away from that experience with broken hearts, and new desire to pray for the people trapped in the entertainment industry.

Our morning started with a group workshop that was really just a series of off-colored jokes. I cringed when the presenter bragged about the fact that he was a "good Southern Baptist."

Then the individual, high-pressure sales pitch began. Our sales rep, Crystal, was brand new on the job--a single Mom who had moved from Arkansas in a desperate attempt to provide a living for her family. She shared with us how life had really knocked her around.

Then her supervisor, Jim, came over to talk to us. He began telling us how his grandfather had been an alcoholic Southern Baptist judge who would read the Bible to him one minute, then beat the tar out of him the next. The pain and bitterness in Jim's voice was tangible. He is an alcoholic himself, but rattled off a list of good deeds that he still tries to do in order to stay in good standing with God. They were both so lost and so empty.

We left that experience with sad and heavy hearts for both Jim and Crystal. Doug was so moved that he went and spent some time alone just praying for them.

The religious climate in the Bible Belt is really not that different from the religious climate up north where we are. People are just as lost, except that they have a warped sense of God and Christianity also mixed into their crazy worldview.

It was ironic to be surrounded by Christian stores, Christian t-shirts, Christian shows, and churches on every block, yet still in the midst of lostness and depravity. The story of God was nothing but cultural wallpaper to so many of the people immersed in it.

We ate dinner one night at a pizza parlor, and a group of teenagers came and sat at the table next to us. They were talking about shooting up drugs, and how the pain of the needle was worth it when you got your "high." It was so disheartening to listen to them.

But then the real shocker came. One boy turned to the friend next to him and said, "I thought you used to be real involved in your church and stuff." The other boy's reply was disheartening, "Yeah, I was. But I've gotten away from all of that. My sister is still into it, though. She doesn't like a lot of what I'm doing." They all had a good laugh at that, and I wanted to cry.

I have felt so out-of-place on this trip. I'm tired of plastic Christianity. I'm weary of pre-packaged, slick, marketed religion. I'm tired of discussions about Christian books and church politics and the latest programs.

I would love to find a group of believers who just want to come together, read straight Scripture, and discuss what it says. I want to pray and worship together for as long as the Holy Spirit leads. I want to hear testimonies of God's amazing power, and talk about our wonderful, magnificent, indescribable GOD!!!! I want to pour our hearts out on behalf of the nations, and intercede with tears and pleading for the unreached. I want to see the Holy Spirit move in power, and rejoice as lost souls come to Christ.

Last week we were visiting with one of our former college students, and he said, "sometimes I just get so homesick for heaven. I want to REALLY see Christ glorified. I want to worship with people from every nation, praising God corporately and being truly excited about God and His Word."

I couldn't agree more. Our son Joshua echoed the cry of my heart over a meal recently. He said, "Jesus, please help the missionaries and each of us do our jobs so that people all over the world can come to know you and you can hurry up and come back. We're ready to be with you."

Amen, Joshua, AMEN.

15 comments:

David Phillips said...

Kiki,

I'm so glad you have had this time away. And I'm with you in the Bible Belt. Actually, a pastor friend of mine said that it's no longer the Bible Belt, it's the church belt. I would agree.

It's been two full years since I last left Alabama for Delaware. Other than my parents and a few friends, oh and of course Alabama Football, there's really nothing left for me there. I cannot honestly believe that I would ever go back and pastor in the South. It would take an amazing work of God to see that happen.

There's a lot of happy plastic Christians among shiny plastic steeples. It breaks my heart for them. Of course it's here in Delaware as well. Just not quite as pronounced.

Be careful on your way back!

Kevin Bussey said...

I guess Charlotte is no longer the south. Because no one goes to church in our neighborhood. There are mission fields everywhere.

Kiki Cherry said...

David,

We just got that "Casting Crowns" cd. I was listening to that song earlier.

Kevin,

I guess that's just the way it is going to be when the world is not our home. But just think of the celebrating we'll be doing in heaven!!!! : )

Aaron K. said...

Thank you Kiki for pointing out what is known by those who minister in the Bible Belt.

I grew up in Fort Worth which really didn't seem to be typical Bible Belt. I now pastor in Virginia which is Bible Belt. It is disheartening how many people think they are OK. They think, "I have my church membership so I'm on God's roll." Most of the people here could care less if another person got saved as long as they have their little country club to go to, and their pastor does all of the spiritual work for them.

Pray for the Bible Belt, please. I think it is easier to get to someone who is lost rather than someone who thinks they are found.

Bro. Rob said...

Kiki, I live in the "belt buckle" of the former Bible Belt, Mississippi. The latest stats I've heard: 60% of our state is unchurched. Our state is full of country clubs posing as churches, playing their games, paying their dues, and solidifying their memberships. Speaking the word "Change" in our churches is more frowned upon than taking the Lord's name in vain.

I think the answer down here in the south is the same answer for the rest of the country: planting new missional churches.

Kiki Cherry said...

Aaron and Rob,

I will certainly be praying for you guys. I agree that your job, in many ways, is tougher than ours. I am thankful to be in the region of the country where we are.

I hope my blog has not sounded too pessimistic lately. I write when I feel passionately about something, and lately that has been about wanting MORE than status quo Christianity.

I've been reading story after story lately in my quiet time of how God has historically moved in amazing, powerful, awesome ways. I am so hungry for that in my own life, and desperately want to see people come to faith in Him. I want to see Him glorified in the manner that He deserves.

I don't want to settle for empty religion. I want a radical, purposeful faith that maximizes the time I have left here on earth.

These past three years have challenged and stretched us in ways we never dreamed. But even when it gets tough, I am excited about where we are heading. I think God has even greater things in store for our campus and our city.

Savage Baptist said...

Don't be discouraged. There are still lots of good churches out there. For every person like you've described, there are plenty of others that will send your heart soaring.

I would love to find a group of believers who just want to come together, read straight Scripture, and discuss what it says.

Well, Homegirl, next time you're in Tulsa, you gotsta come by our class at Sheridan Road Baptist, just north of Pine and Sheridan. Starts at 9:30, pretty much a discussion-based class. You'll have a great time, and we may even feed you a cookie. There's always a big pot of coffee and lively discussion.

Corazon Latino said...

I couldn't agree with you more and my heart broke at the lostness of those who believe they have been found. My fear is that when we return to NZ in a few weeks we are going to face this same kind of christianity. I struggle with it here and would like to think that over there will be better (even though I know it won't be). I am already praying for such a group of believers as you have described in the city where we are going to live. I just want to be a part of something vibrant, transparent and honest. Is that such a hard thing to ask for? I guess that's one of the reasons I finally started blogging. If I lead by example about my life and God's work in it then maybe others will take that as a lead.

I will be praying for you and your family. I loved Joshua's prayer. Amen indeed!

David said...

You're right, being religious (yet) lost seems to be an epidemic. All the more reason to be prepared at all times, prayed up, in the Word and ready to follow the Lord's leadership wherever we are.

Unknown said...

Moving post, Kiki. It may be that the most difficult mission field is the one that is anesthesized by cultural Christianity.

The next time you are in Oklahoma, give us a call!

James Hunt said...

I grew up in the Bible Belt...Oklahoma. After 17 years living in the North East and in Florida..I'm back in Oklahoma again.

It's definately a wonderful mission field in which to live.

Unfortunately, many, many people have got their "Jesus booster shot" at a young age and have continued to get their "Jesus innoculations" and have grown up immune to the true gospel.

I've about had it with "plastic Christianity". I pray for missional communities to spring up from within existing churches and that God will start new missional communities.

Thanks for sharing your heart.

Bob Cleveland said...

Kiki:

As to the post: Wow. Just .. wow.

I live in Alabama. You wanna talk Bible belt? I live in a county of about 60,000 people and there are about 55 Southern Baptist Churches here. And we hear that 60 or 70% of the county is unchurched!

Well ... any Sunday morning, we have about 30% of our church's actual members in the church. So we are 70% unchurched, ourselves!

I don't like plastic Christianity, but then I'm not a plastic Christian. Neither are you. You're called to work in the world, and that includes among the plastic Christians.

Our church (900-1000 in Sunday School) is a typical "successful" church. Our little prayer team meets at 7am Sundays and 7pm Thursdays to pray and worship. We put on the worship music and just get with God. Since we do that, we then can see the church "worship services" as a place of service, rather than the focus of our worship. We also minister to one another and read scripture, at times.

And, oh, for Bible reading and discussion, stop by my Young Married Couple Sunday School class. I guarantee that's what we do, there.

This is just us, but it works.

It might be sad that such is the case, but remember that your hunger for purity of worship and Bible study isn't your idea. That hunger comes from God, and we cannot fault those who just don't seem to have that hunger.

Your postings are a blessing. Keep it up, please.

God bless.

Anonymous said...

My heart was breaking as I read your post. Me too, weary of anything this world has to offer and ready to worship with any and all who call the name of the Lord Jesus. Pray, read, study, and worship...He must be returning soon. And all who endure to the end, the same shall be saved. Wes Kenney has a great blog spot with much encouragement. Hang in and on...The Lord is so in love with us and seeks for us to come together for revival. I truly believe we will live to see it. Blessings to you young lady!

Kiki Cherry said...

Anonymous,

I actually got to meet Wes Kenney at the convention!!! He is as nice of a guy in person as he comes across on his blog.

There are several bloggers in this group who have been a blessing and an encouragement to me. I would also recommend reading many of the posts by Guy and Linda Muse in Ecuador.

I have actually found many kindred spirits online, and that has been a blessing. I look forward, though, to someday being able to worship with them face-to-face when we all get to the other side. What a day that will be!!!

kjam22 said...

Kiki.... thanks for this post. It is so sad, but true.

Last sunday in our Sunday School class there was a prayer request. A lady requested prayer for a friends daughter. The daughter has 3 young children, is single, and DHS through the court system has told her that she can have no contact with the children because she is such a bad influence (we'll leave it at that). So the grandparents are now raising the kids, but they also can have no contact with their daughter while the kids are there.

Then at the end of the prayer request she mentioned..... and the young mother still goes to our church. We have failed! We continue to fail. And I don't know the answer or today's churches.

I guess we just pray that God will "right" his faltering church.