Thursday, July 06, 2006

The SBCs Forgotten Missionaries

Our support-raising trips are always interesting, and we can never know what to expect. But this year has been particularly challenging.

We're used to the typical disconnect when it comes to missions, and the gratuitous, "it's nice what you're doing for those kids in Philadelphia." : )

But this year, it was difficult to even get into churches to speak. I had one pastor tell me not mention what we did in Pittsburgh, because he did not want us "competing" with the church's existing missions programs. (and that was a church I helped plant while in college!!!)

We also were challenged in aspects of our ministry. One man objected to us "interacting with homosexuals." Another lady was appalled that we would "allow non-Christians to come to our group." She was concerned that they might tarnish our Christian doctrine if they were allowed to participate!!!

To be honest, it's really frustrating to be so misunderstood by your own denomination. It would be easier for us to be trying to raise support in a denomination that did NOT have a Cooperative Program, because other denominations see support-raising as a normal component of mission work.

Doug and I are actually doing pretty well financially, compared to many of our peers. We are running at about 80% of where we need to be.

But we have many MSC friends who are struggling to make ends meet, especially those who work in the Bible Belt. It's tough to hear what they go through. Our churches simply don't understand the concept of self-supported SBC missions.

So I'd like to dispel some of the common myths about Mission Service Corps that we hear over and over and over again.

1. "Mission Service Corps is not a Southern Baptist program." On the contrary. It was formed 29 years ago as an avenue for missionaries to be able to go to areas where there would otherwise be no work. It falls under the umbrella of NAMB, and makes up a majority of the NAMB missionaries. It is totally and completely a Southern Baptist mission program, even though it requires that missionaries raise their own support. Doug and I learned about Mission Service Corps from official NAMB representatives, when they recruited us at Glorieta.

2. "NAMB takes a portion of money given to MSC missionaries for administrative purposes." 100% of the money designated for a specific MSC missionary goes to that missionary. NAMB processes the money and keeps it in a designated account, then pays it out in the form of a regular paycheck. But ALL of the money given for the missionary makes it to the missionary.

3. "Giving to Mission Service Corps hurts the Cooperative Program and special offerings such as Lottie Moon and Annie Armstrong." In a "recent NAMB study" reports from the vast majority of association sponsors and state conventions indicated that MSC giving either did not affect or enhanced support of the Cooperative Program. 43% stated that giving to Annie Armstrong and Lottie Moon actually increased because of MSC support. Mission Service Corps generates roughly $36 million annually for missions support.

4. "There are no checks and balances with the MSC system." We have a NAMB appointed supervisor, NAMB authorities, and fill out regular NAMB paperwork just like other Southern Baptist missionaries. MSC missionaries must apply and be appointed by NAMB. Our money is channelled through NAMB, and they take care of much of the paperwork for us. There are numerous sources of accountability within the system.

5. "People apply to MSC when they don't qualify for other traditional SBC mission programs." I have not even heard of one case where this is true. A good number of MSC missionaries choose to go through Mission Servie Corps because they are called to a specific region or type of work that has no Cooperative Program funding or position. This is particularly true in College Ministry. Many campus ministers outside the Bible Belt have to raise their own financial support, because there is just no traditional funding available.

I want to make one last appeal, on behalf of MSC missionaries all over the country. Please give MSC missionaries a chance to share their stories in your churches. MSC missionaries are dependent on funding by individuals and churches in order to survive. It is incredibly difficult to build a support base when Southern Baptist churches will not even allow MSC personnel an opportunity to speak. Mission Service Corps people are often the forgotten missionaries of the SBC. Yet God is using them all over this nation, and they need your support and prayers just as much as traditional missionaries.

14 comments:

David Phillips said...

Kiki,

this is a great post. I am sorry that those in the Bible belt are reacting the way they are. We just have to pray that their eyes would be open.

I wish our church could help you guys, but right now, we're working hard ourselves just to meet budget. Know you are in my prayers though...

Blessings

Bob Cleveland said...

Kiki:

It's one thing to "give up" the luxury of USA living and become a missionary when the support is provided. It's another matter where you have to raise your own support.

It reminds me of King David wanting to buy a threshing floor from a farmer to offer sacrifices. The farmer refused payment but David insisted, saying "I will not give unto the Lord, that which cost me nothing".

So it is, with you two.

Congratulations.

Jeff Richard Young said...

Dear Mrs. Cherry,

I had no idea that you didn't have places to speak while you were here. I did not mention that I would have LOVED for you to come speak here at CBC, because I assumed you were in demand, and wouldn't want to be pressured to put in one more appearance.

We've already heard from three MSC couples here at our church, and I dearly hope you will come next time you are in this region.

I suppose you have heard from Doug how my jaw dropped and I turned pale when he first told me about MSC, but I'm over it, and I'mm very thankful for and supportive of what you're doing.

Love in Christ,

Jeff

Caren said...

I wish I had a church you could come speak at...I've never heard of SBC missionaries having to raise support, so I'm interested in hearing more. Where do I go to send donations in? Just the regular NAMB website?

Bob Cleveland said...

Kiki:

Let me know if you're ever around Birmingham, AL. I don't know what our church would/could do, but I think I can get you some places to tell your story.

Rob said...

Kiki,

I'm sure our church in Montgomery, AL would be glad to have you speak.
(Gateway Baptist)

Anonymous said...

Kiki,

Thanks for your post. You know how I feel on MSC. Love you and Doug.

Kiki Cherry said...

Romey,

Since you happened to read this post, let me rephrase one thing.

Maybe the line "fill out regular NAMB paperwork" is a little generous.

How about "verbally report to our supervisor, and periodically turn in NAMB paperwork, too!!!!" : )

Kiki Cherry said...

All of you,

Thanks for the encouragement--it was timely. The church we were supposed to speak at this coming Sunday cancelled on us today, too. So we're thinking about just heading on home. We're all a little homesick for PA.

David,

I just got your voice message. I had lent my phone to Dad that day, because he was heading to Malvern and doesn't have a cell phone. I'll call you ASAP.

Bob,Caren, and Rob,

Thank you so much. : ) I wish we were closer to your churches. Caren-- you can go to www.namb.net to learn more about Mission Service Corps missionaries.

Jeff,

You are already one of our biggest supporters--in many different ways!!!! Thanks for the encouragement.

Jeff Richard Young said...

Dear Kiki,

Do you mean you are still in TexArkansaHoma and you don't have an engagement for THIS SUNDAY, JULY 9th? If so, COME HERE!!! We would be SO HAPPY for you to speak here at our church, whether morning or evening or even both. Please call me at my home number 903-640-8055 ASAP at any hour.

Love in Christ,

Jeff

Kiki Cherry said...

Ricky,

We have always wanted to go to Montana. We may well take you up on that offer one of these days! : )

Jeff,

Thank you so much for inviting us to Corinth. You have a sweet church!!! We enjoyed being there, and the people were GREAT.

BTW--we learned at lunch that your army nickname was "potluck". It was a new Jeff fact that Doug did not know. : )

Tim Sweatman said...

Kiki,

The ignorance that many Southern Baptists have about MSC is regrettable, but it is somewhat understandable since for many years we've always heard that one of the best things about the SBC is that our missionaries do not have to take the time and effort to raise their support. While on one hand it would be great if all of our missionaries could be fully funded through CP, on several occasions you have pointed out some of the advantages that come from raising your own support.

The part of this post that really hit me was the criticism you received about "interacting with homosexuals" and "allow[ing] non-Christians to come into [y]our group." That got me to thinking about the differences between a missional mindset, which you and Doug are living out, and a church bubble mindset, which the critics have. I used your description of this criticism as the basis for a post on this matter.

Tom Bryant said...

I am sorry that I did not know about MSC missionaries and how you have to raise your own support. I guess I assumed that that's why we give thru the CP.

If you come to Florida for vacation, come to the best beach in Florida (Siesta) and you will be welcomed and supported in Osprey.

Bob A said...

Kiki -- thanks for sharing an MSC FAQ list. I have good friends who are NAMB missionaries and admire what you all do.

Bob Allen
an IMB missionary