Friday, July 21, 2006

Hurting Body, Indifferent Church???

I have been following with great interest the discussion surrounding Henderson Hills and their position on baptism and membership. And to be honest, I think they are asking some good questions.

It is complex, but a lot of people have been contributing valuable insights on the subject. (One of my favorites is Paul Burleson's ).

Everyone involved seems to agree that baptism (by immersion) is doctrinally correct for Southern Baptists, as well as a vitally important step of obedience following a person's decision to accept Christ.

That's not really the issue. The question causing the controversy is whether baptism is a necessary requirement for church membership.

It's the age old "chicken and the egg" question from a Christian perspective--belief/belong or belong/belief. And since official membership in a local church is not addressed biblically, it becomes another one of those topics where biblical/historical/traditional lines all seem to be blur into varying interpretations.

But that is not the point of my post. I read the most recent post by Dennis Newkirk, the pastor of HHBC, and was saddened by what I found. He has really been beaten up, and sounds discouraged. That picture he posted on his site speaks volumes.

Here is a man who has been crushed for simply daring to ask some relevant questions.

He has been hurt by fellow Christians whose careless words reflect careless hearts. We all need to stop and ask ourselves: is it more important to be "right", or to be godly?

We would do well to remember the warning of Proverbs Pro 12:18. "There is one who speaks rashly like the thrusts of a sword, But the tongue of the wise brings healing."

Please hear me out, and don't bombard me with doctrinal dissertations concerning baptism and membership. I'm not endorsing one position or another, because I'm still contemplating the issue myself.

But here's what I DO know. 1 Cor. 12 tells us that if we are in Christ, we are all members of one body. It also tells us that when one member of the body is hurting, it affects the whole body, because that member is a connected, valuable part of the whole. Dennis apparently recognized this hurt within his own church family, and felt it merited his attention. It is a topic that is very worthy of discussion.

Whether we want to admit it or not, this IS a genuine barrier for many people, and there is deep pain associated with the baptism/membership issue. We cannot assume that everyone grew up within the same religious culture and tradition that we experienced. We need to start putting ourselves in other's shoes.

There are fellow brothers and sisters, in the North, East, West, and yes, even the South, who have been deeply hurt by this issue. And no matter where we stand on the issue itself, if it affects part of the body, it affects us.

Allow me to share a story with you.

I have a dear friend who is a godly, amazing woman. But she grew up in a different denomination, and came to a relationship with Christ in that church. She decided to follow Christ in baptism, because she recognized that it was an important step of obedience in her walk with Christ. Her baptism was a very rich, meaningful experience for her, and was done with the intent of honoring and bringing glory to her Lord.

So she was stunned, years later, when she attempted to join an SBC church, and they told her she would have to be re-baptized, because she had been sprinkled rather than immersed.

With tears in her eyes, she explained why she adamantly objected to doing so. To be re-baptized now would be for the purposes of membership into an SBC church, rather than as a public confession of her salvation. To her, it negates her original act of obedience and cheapens the true meaning of baptism.

So she remains in a church where she faithfully attends and actively participates, while feeling like a "second-class citizen" because of the membership issue. To make matters worse, she has received a lot of pressure from well-meaning Baptists to "just get re-baptized and put the whole issue behind her."

For her, it is not a matter of disobedience, but rather of principle.
This is not an isolated story. Each of us probably knows someone who has a similar testimony. And if you have ever heard them speak about it, then you have seen the pain in their face and the depth of emotion that accompanies this topic.

I'm not saying that we should alter doctrine to keep people happy. There is a definite time to stand for truth. But there is also a definite time to stand for love. We need to be actively seeking wisdom, while respecting those around us.

Love is patient. It is humble. It puts the other person first. Love listens. Love seeks understanding. It is gentle, honorable and kind.

Jesus did not expect the people he encountered on the street, or even his own disciples, to have instantaneously "arrived". He discipled them, allowing them to gradually learn spiritual principles. We see multiple examples of where he used questions, stories or experiences to help them grow into an understanding of truth. He allowed them to grow at their own pace within a safe environment.

I have a hard time believing that if Jesus were here today, He would say, "If those people don't like our doctrine, they can just go find a different church." He would have listened to those who were hurting. He would have sought understanding. He would have prayed and searched for God's will in the matter. And He would have responded with kindness and respect.

Some of the comments I have read recently from one Christian to another are quite frankly sickening. There is no love exhibited, no honor shown, no attempt to esteem others more highly or love our neighbor as ourselves.

No matter what opinions we may have, the biblical guidelines on relating to one another are clear.


1Th 5:11-15 Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing.
But we request of you, brethren, that you appreciate those who diligently labor among you, and have charge over you in the Lord and give you instruction,
and that you esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Live in peace with one another.
We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone.
See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people.

Rom 12:10-13 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.

Rom 15:5-7 Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus, so that with one accord you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Therefore, accept one another, just as Christ also accepted us to the glory of God.

1Pe 1:22-23 Since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love of the brethren, fervently love one another from the heart, for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God.


10 comments:

Bob Cleveland said...

Kiki:

Right on.

I'm a firm believer in baptism being only immersion .. that's what the word means. I understand the word "Baptism" was transliterated from the original "baptizo" in fear of King James .. he'd been sprinkled and wouldn't have liked the word "immersed" if they'd used that. But I also know that how we go about what we do is of the utmost importance, lest we not show the love that Jesus said would be our hallmark, one for another.

I was sprinkled as a kid. When I joined the Baptist church (mumble mumble) years later, I was immersed. It was almost a non-experience. I already had a personal relationship with a Living Savior, and baptism didn't change it.

I think that's your heart showing. I like what I see. I bet God does, too.

Kelly Reed said...

Kiki,

Be sure and call Vicky and talk to her about baptism. She has really been delving into the subject lately and has convinced me that even today we don't teach a biblical perspective on Baptism and WHY we should be baptized. It's more than just an act of obedience, more than just a public testimony.

It is saddening to see how we jump on and vilify our own. Knowing this tendency might explain why Jesus prayed 3 times in John 17 that we "may be one..."

Baptists recovered the concept of Believer's Baptism some 60 years before they recovered Immersion. Today those early baptists would be vilified almost as much as the anti-christ (I love you... you love me...sorry, couldn't resist).

The questions raised are:
Is the idea of Membership a biblical concept or is it just a way to maintain records.

Which is more important--identifying someone with Christ or as a member of a church (they are not the same)?

Should Baptism be used in defining what a member is or is not more than faith in Christ?

Is it possible to maintain Doctrinal Accountability, Spirit-Led Leadership in congregational decisions and Church Discipline (assuming we really practice it) in our churches apart from the concept of Membership, apart from the idea that we must have conformity?

I know there's more, but you get the idea. Every so often we need to reevaluate what and why we're doing things otherwise we fall into the pit of traditionalism and we forget why we do things at all (remember the cutting of the ham story?). That may make us uncomfortable for a season, but it will make us stronger in the long run.

Pursuing Answers to Questions of Faith & Life,

Kelly

Canada Family said...

Kiki,

I haven't left you a comment before, but I look at your blog regularly and our family prays for yours on a regular basis as well.

This issue strikes a cord wth me because I was baptized by immersion in another denomiation and had to be re-baptized in order to join Central when Robbie and I became engaged. I struggled, but decided that I needed to do it so that it wouldn't be an issue anymore. It was hard, though, since I had been a Christian for so many years and was raised in a godly home. In the years since, we have removed that necessity at CBC, although they take it on a case-by-case basis, making sure that a person is a genuine believer and that their previous baptism was scriptural. That would have saved me a lot of issues and I shared my story with our former pastor when the issue came up for debate.

I appreciate your boldness to speak on issues that aren't easy or comfortable. We pray for success for the kingdom at CMU and hope to see you and work with you in the future.

Stacey Johnson
Jonesboro

Canada Family said...

Sorry for my overuse of the word "issue." Where's the thesarus when you need it?

Stacey

Jeff Richard Young said...

Dear Mrs. Cherry,

I am thankful to read your take on this issue. You always seem to see the personal rather than the doctrinal.

Please keep in mind, however, that every time a person has been hurt over baptism, it has been because of doctrinal error. When the lady was sprinkled, and then later hurt because she couldn't join the other church, the hurt was because of the error of sprinkling. When Stacey was hurt because of being forced to get dunked to join CBC, it was because of the error of not recognizing the scriptural baptism of other denominations.

So, please don't just say we should invent new kinds of error, like not insisting on baptism before church membership, to try and not hurt anybody else. Only by insisting that baptism and church membership be handled properly every time can we stop the cycle of hurt instead of becoming party to it.

I blogged on this a few days ago. Please feel free to read it, in case in might help.

Love in Christ,

Jeff

Kiki Cherry said...

Stacey,

It's so good to hear from you! Thanks for sharing that. And thanks for being nice to me in your response. The blogging world can be really, really unkind.

I just want our church leadership to listen to those who have been put in this awkward position. It is a VERY important issue to those whom it affects.

I appreciate the fact that Dennis is sensitive to the heart issues of his congregation. Too often the church's response seems flippant and callous,because they have not walked in that person's shoes.
The message is often communicated that "I am spiritually superior to you, and you just need to get with the program."

Unfortunately, that unloving, arrogant response seems pretty rampant in church circles. There seems to be an assumption that everyone has to fit into a precise little box.

I have heard similar feelings of rejection expressed by many Singles, women who have been unable to have children, and Christians struggling to overcome attraction to members of the same sex.

Why are we so insensitive to one another? Why can we be so MEAN???!!!

Many of the comments on these blog sites are case in point. WHEN IS IT EVER OKAY TO BE RUDE, CONDESCENDING AND DISHONORABLE TO ONE ANOTHER?

There are no "lesser" or "greater" members in the body of Christ. None of us has yet arrived, and we won't. We desperately need each other.

Col 3:12-14 "So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.
Beyond all these things put on LOVE, which is the perfect bond of unity."

Kiki Cherry said...

Jeff,

You and I agree on believer's baptism.

It's the membership thing that I'm still trying to come to a biblical position on. I have yet to find a place where standards for membership in a local church body are laid out in scripture.

I am not just basing this on anyone's feelings, although as someone with the gift of mercy, I am very sensitive to that.

But I can assure you that I DO seek the Word of God above the emotions of people. How could I ever put the opinions of man above the Word and authority of God? I would hope that you know me better than that by now.

HHBC has made some valid points, and they've got us listening.

I don't think it's as much of an issue in the region where you live. But where we are, there is a definite place for these questions.
People here are brought up in very traditional, organized religion, and there is a perception with membership that carries exclusivity with it.

So I think we are losing people because they can't get past a perceived barrier. Changing membership requirements may not be the answer. But there is a definite need to create a "safe" environment, where people who are still in the midst of the journey, but don't fully understand or are not ready to take the "plunge", can feel welcome and find a place to grow and serve.

Kiki Cherry said...

Bob,

Thanks, as always, for your affirming comments. One of my greatest regrets from Greensboro is that I never had the opportunity to meet you in person.

BTW--I have told the "fire ant" story to several people now. I just love that!!!

Kelly--

I'm a little scared to talk to Vicky. She may make my head hurt, because for every concept I can grasp, she has already taken it three levels deeper, and translated it from the original languages. Once your kids are older, she really needs to be teaching higher education somewhere. You are blessed to have such an amazing wife. : )

I would actually like to hear her thoughts on baptism, and especially on whether the idea of membership is actually a biblical concept.

If she can put them in writing and give me a few days to let it soak in, that would be great! Thanks!!!

Tim Sweatman said...

Kiki,

I have refrained from commenting on the Henderson Hills issue until now (at least I don't remember commenting on it), which is so unlike me. When have I ever refrained from commenting on a controversial issue?! ;) I think my reticence on this matter is because I have no idea where I stand regarding the relationship between baptism and church membership. I know what the BFM says, but I haven't figured out exactly what the Bible says about this relationship.

That being said, I have been very impressed with the way Pastor Newkirk and HHBC have approached this issue. It's remarkable that they have even taken it on, because they knew that they were going to take some serious heat for even looking at the issue, which is unfortunate. I am encouraged to see a church take a subject that is settled in most people's minds and examine for themselves what the Bible actually says about it. No one should ever be criticized by another Christian for trying to base their actions and beliefs on clear biblical teaching. And if we disagree with their conclusions, we can and must do so with grace, love, and respect.

I am confident that you agree that we must never remove barriers to fellowship that are established by clear biblical teaching. What I sense you are saying is that if a barrier that is NOT based on such teaching has been erected then it should be removed. Am I close?

. said...

Kiki,

Posting twice in one night. I'm actually catching up on blog-reading after a very hectic time last week!

While I have to echo Jeff Young's words to some extent, I understand your concern as well. Honestly, I've never had this issue become an . . .issue! There would be early aprehension, and in response I would go to the Biblical text and they would see that while their intentions were honest, it was not done in the right way, and so, not with a desire to conform to "Baptist" guidelines, but rather, with a desire to honor Christ with perfection, they were willingly immersed.

My experience has taught me that most of the time when hurt comes, it doesn't come because pastors lovingly and patiently lead people to the truth, but rather because of an arrogant attitude of superiority.