Thursday, July 20, 2006

Ramblings of a future pet owner

It's 2:31 a.m. and I can't sleep. So I'm writing rambling posts on non-theological topics in the wee hours of the morning. Bear that in mind as you read this.

I'm anxious about tomorrow. That's when we'll find out if we have a shot at dog ownership.

I never thought I would be this stressed out. I'm usually not this emotional about an animal--especially one I don't even really know. When we decided to take the plunge and adopt a pet, I thought it would simply be a matter of going down to the local shelter, selecting a dog we liked, and taking it home.

But oh no, no. Not in America. Did you know that there is an application process, background check, and sometimes even a home visit? I had no idea that the process was this grueling. All day long I've been thinking, "what if they don't think we'd be good owners? What if our home is not good enough? What if the dog doesn't seem to like us?"

I also made the mistake of getting my heart set on a particular pet. She is an 8 month old labrador/dachshund mix named "Crickett." I had a Labradox (or Doxador, as Doug prefers to call her) when I was a kid. Crickett happens to look a lot like her, and seems to have much of the same disposition.

The problem is that another family is ahead of us in the application process. They will be spending time with Crickett tomorrow, in view of adoption.

So we are playing the waiting game. Part of me wonders if it is okay to pray about something like this. Does God care about our pet desires? Is that like asking him to help your team win a football game? Is it fair to ask Him to make another family not want her?

What do you think? Is it okay to pray about the little things in life, even if they have no theological bearings whatsoever?

Either way, I know that it will all work out in the end. But in case God does care about it, I might just say a little prayer, too. : )

8 comments:

Dori said...

Kiki -

I just wrote a post about pet ownership on my blog. Not me personally, but a boy in my apartment complex. I believe that God cares about all parts of our lives, and am beginning to think that there is something basic about pets that ties all the way back to Genesis and the creation of man. So I will pray with you. Because even if God doesn't grant you the exact dog you want, I know he does care about you, and wants you to know he loves your family ... and I believe that includes sending your way the exact right pet you need.

Tom Bryant said...

My wife originally went to the shelter to get a kitten. After the application was finished, she was told that I had to come by so the people at the shelter could meet both people who were going to be in the home.
Well, in spite of me, we got the cat.

Kiki Cherry said...

Thanks, guys! I'll keep you posted.

I told Doug that I can't even begin to fathom what adoptive parents must go through. If it is this nerve-wrenching with a puppy, I can't imagine how it must be to have to wait for a child.

We have considered international adoption, but I'm not sure that I could handle the process!!! I'd probably get arrested for stalking the embassy personnel with my baby's paperwork.

Kelly Reed said...

The pet will be a great addition to your family. Though it may make traveling out of town a bit more of an inconvenience. The important thing to remember is like what we do with human children (5 fingers, 5 toes etc.) Make sure that...

1. It can lick incessantly especially while you're sleeping
2. It is smart enough to know how to avoid any newspaper you put down to keep your house clean
3. It has those special eyes that turns Doug into a blithering "I'll give you anything you want--even my steak" raving fool. Those will be good moments for any member of the family to ask him for something because he may say yes without realizing he's no longer talking to the dog.
4. It is one of those dogs that when visitors arrive, it gets so excited that it begins to pee. That way, you'll have a built in excuse as to why the house is a mess.

Hope this helps.

Pursuing Him,

Kelly

Corazon Latino said...

We're facing the reality of losing our beloved cat. We have been praying for a right home for her and finally have found one but now we are waiting for the guy to come and pick her up and take her away. It is tough at the other end of pet ownership, to say goodbye. She really is another member of our family.

Enjoy your dog!!!

Anonymous said...

Might I suggest decaf?

art rogers said...

Kiki!

Our Lab/mutt mix (black as midnight) is named Cricket. One "t" though.

Anonymous said...

Kiki,
I loved this post! We adopted a Springer Spaniel 2 years ago from the Humane Society, but didn't have to jump through all the hoops that you guys are experiencing. We originally wanted a lab, but when I saw the Springer shaking in his cage, giving me a look like "please get me out of here" my heart was gone!
And yes, we did pray for several weeks before going to the HS. Every dog we had ever owned was "a nut" to put it mildly. So this choice was bathed in prayer from day 1. I truly believe anything that we feel is important enough to take to the Lord in prayer is important to Him!
God answered wonderfully and "Blaze" has become a member of the family. He fits perfectly with the temperment of our home.