Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Radiant Faces, Radiant Lives

I have been privileged to be around some amazing people these past few days. These individuals embody what I would like to be when I grow up. : ) They have qualities about them that are really special and worth far more than any title or position.

Take Steve Walker, for instance. Steve is a pastor in California, but within seconds of being around him, you will realize he is a man of prayer and passionate about missions. I was so touched Monday night when I got to witness an interaction between Steve and my Mom. They were talking about the people of Afghanistan, and their faces were glowing. They both reflected a love, concern and compassion for a people group clear on the other side of the world.

I witnessed much of the same thing in talking with Elaine Meador. She is the wife of Clyde Meador, VP of the International Mission Board. They both are amazing individuals. But Elaine has a sweetness and beauty that just radiate from her face. Her heart beats missions, and she is as real and transparent as can be. After talking with her, I found myself wanting to get on a plane and go work in Central Asia.

Then there is Bob Stith. Our relationship with Bob goes back a few years. We met at the Texas Motor Speedway, while serving in TxArm, a ministry to NASCAR fans. What I love about Bob is his passion for people. He is no respecter of persons, but sees value and beauty in every person he comes across. Bob and the TxArm team taught us how to meet people on their own territory.

Bob is a great listener, and genuinely hears the stories of the people he encounters. He seeks to find their "cultural heart language", and looks for a way to communicate value to each person he meets.

I saw him yesterday at a booth for his new ministry, which reaches out to those engaged in homosexual lifestyles or who are struggling with same-sex attraction. I am not surprised that Bob would be engaged in reaching such a tough segment of society.

As he was telling me about his organization, he clearly had a deep love and empathy for those held in bondage by this sin. Bob is one of those quiet spiritual giants. His name may never be well-known, but his faithfulness and impact will one day come to light. Bob has always been willing to serve with little recognition or feedback. His humility and selflessness reflect the true depth of his character.

Two of my favorite leaders in the whole SBC are David Waltz and Gail Hallman. I got hugs from both of them yesterday, and was reminded how blessed I am to get to know and learn from them. David is the Executive Director of our PA/SJ convention, and Gail is our Director of Mobilization. Both are warm, loving, passionate about missions, driven to reach the people God has entrusted to us, and so supportive of our team.

They are genuine, approachable, and real. One of the first things that David did yesterday was ask how things were going on our campus, and communicate his love and appreciation for us. Then he bent down and spent time talking to our kids. Davud and Gail are the real thing. We know that they pray for us, because they ask about specific topics weeks after we requested prayer. We are so grateful for the amazing leadership we have in Pennsylvania.

Another new friend is David Rogers. I have gotten to know and appreciate him from our little blog world, but got to meet him live and in color this week. He is every bit as warm and kind in person as he is online. I was impressed with his gentleness, and his sincere heart for the people of Spain. He is a person who could use his name for leverage, and could hold positions of power and influence. But instead he chooses to faithfully serve in the land where God has called him, and desires the approval of God far more than the approval of man.

Finally, the last person I would like to mention is John--an accountant who was working at the Guidestone booth. I did not know John before yesterday, but was deeply touched when he told me that he prays for us and our ministry in Pennsylvania. It gave me chill bumps to hear how this total stranger intercedes for us, and was so encouraging to know that there are people like John fighting for us even in those times when we feel isolated and alone. In the few minutes I spent talking to him, I knew immediately that he was a prayer warrior, and walked away knowing I had met a kindred spirit.

So what is the common denominator in all of these people? I was laying in bed last night, turning that question over in my head. And then it hit me.

Without fail, every one of these individuals have a powerful outward demeanor, because they have a deep inward relationship with God. They place a high priority on consistent, meaningful, private time with the Lord.

Seeing them has challenged me. I want to have that kind of devotional life. I want to BE a person whose face radiates because my heart has communed with God.

I know that I still have a ways to go in that area. I am not as disciplined as I would like to be, and often do seek the approval of others more than the approval of God. I don't pray as much as I would like and wish I was more patient, and gentle and loving.

But I'm on the journey. I am just thankful for these amazing people whose steps I can follow in and learn from.

1 comment:

Chris Walls said...

Kiki,

It was so good to see you at the Convention. I want you to know I have been praying for you and Doug for several years now. I remember the first time I heard you guys were going to Carnigie Mellon and thought, wow they will do great things for God there. You guys are in our prayers and if we can do anything to help, please let us know. Actually, I may need help I pastor about 1 block from a 5000 student campus!