Thursday, June 01, 2006

Good News from a Distant Land

Downtown in Granna, Sweden

Last night, as I lay talking to God, I asked Him for some refreshment. This has been such a lonely year, and I was really feeling it yesterday.

God is so good! I woke up this morning, and had an email in my inbox from a very special childhood friend. His name is Stefan, and I have not seen or talked to him in 21 years. He and his wife Anette now live in Granna, Sweden.

Stefan and his brother Samuel were some of my best friends when we were teenagers in Zimbabwe. Their parents were Nazarene missionaries from Graaskarg, Sweden. The Drewitz boys, along with my good friend Bev and I, would laugh until it hurt. They were funny, and crazy, and embraced life with passion. They also loved God, and enjoyed having discussions about what they were learning in His word.

Their whole family was amazing. The best way to describe them is "warm and gentle." They had five kids, of which Stefan was the oldest--all with bright blue eyes, blonde hair and rosy cheeks. They were a very close, happy and loving family, and sang beautifully. They went to a different church, but would come and do specials at ours. It was like watching a scene from the "Sound of Music."

Stefan and I didn't really hang out with the same groups at school. But he was the kind of friend who I could pass in the hall, and he would always give me a huge smile and encouraging greeting. Then on weekends, when our youth groups would get together, we would pick up where we left off the week before.

And that's exactly what we're doing now. Even though 20 years have passed, we just caught up as if we'd never been apart. It is so cool to have some of those special people in life--who are loyal friends, even across miles and years.

God knew that I needed that reminder of His love and faithfulness. I am thanking Him today for this special blessing.

Proverbs 25:25 "Like cold water to a weary soul, So is good news from a distant land."


1 comment:

David Phillips said...

OK...I think I'll just make it a point to call you every week so we can cry together about the loneliness thing. :-D

Should we schedule it?