Saturday, June 10, 2006

A Life that Counts

A few posts ago I told you how I had been able to reconnect with an old friend from Zimbabwe.

Today I received an exciting email. It was from a guy named Rob, who also knew the Drewitz boys. Here's what he had to say,
If you could put me in touch with them I would be very grateful as those two had an effect on me giving my life to the Lord, and they do not know it. I actually use them as an example of how we witness through our actions when nobody is looking or watching. I was.

I was an exchange student from Seattle, WA to Bulawayo that year and would be very grateful if you could give me an email address to get in touch with them.
What a precious email!!! The thing that struck me was the power of a quiet, consistent, Christlike life. I was trying to peg what quality the Drewitz boys had that was so exceptional. And then it hit me.

They HONOR others. And it is from the heart. I truly think they see value in everyone they meet. I know that one thing I have heard them say is, "everyone has something to contribute, no matter how small."

In a world that values being RIGHT, Stefan and Samuel value kindness even more.

As we prepare to leave for Greenboro tomorrow, this was a timely reminder for me. To be honest, I'm weary of the conflict and struggle and messiness within our convention. I have been meditating on 1 John 1:7 this morning. If we are all walking in the light, then why is our fellowship so broken? Lord, heal us!!!! Have mercy on us!!!

I agree with Steve Walker--my truest hopes for Greensboro are that God would get hold of our hearts, that we would be focused on Him, that there would be brokenness and unity, and that HE would be glorified in a way never seen before in our convention.

Lord, above all, teach me to honor others in the way that you would honor them. Let me be a channel of your love and kindness. And may my life bring glory to you. AMEN.




No comments: