Friday, February 24, 2006

Falls Creek Memories Anyone????

Falls Creek Tabernacle, 1984 (back in Jeff and Doug's time)
Both Jason and Jeff brought up some beautiful memories of Falls Creek past. So I wanted to post them here on the main site.
Jason's Memories:
My greatest prank was pouring caster oil in the cool-aid one night at dinner. Turns out it worked on someone, my best friend. I was bragging to him about it and he told me that he spend the rest of that day on the toilet! Boy, was he mad at me.In order to get me back, he put Icy Hot on my deodorant. I took a shower that next day, put on the deoderant, and headed to the tabernacle. Just as i stepped into the tabernacle, the fire hit my pits. i thought i was going to die it hurt so much.
Jeff's Memories:
I can feel a Falls Creek memory from miles away. It called to me across cyberspace.
Doug, our other buddies, and I went to Falls Creek every year, sometimes twice. Doug was the best one about asking serious questions about the Bible when everyone else was just being silly. He asked our college counselor, Greg Sills, about Romans 5:7-8, and I remember learning alot in the discussion that followed.
For everyone's information, so you'll know the truth to which Kiki is referring: Kiki's husband Doug, now the illustrious MSC campus missionary, just a few short years ago could be seen running down the middle of the dorm all shampooed up from head to toe, with his hair foamed into two horns, and with a bar of soap in one hand running the middle leg of a shower relay.
When he passed the soap to me and I ran my lap down between the bunks and back, our counselor made as if he was going to stick the plunger on my face. I swerved, slipped on the wet floor as I entered the bathroom, and went down hard.
I found myself spinning on my back across the floor toward the fire escape (2nd floor). Doug and Chris caught my arms as I was about halfway out the open fire escape door, feet first. So there I was, all covered in shampoo (and nothing else) hanging out the fire escape, with Chris and Doug, also covered in shampoo (and nothing else) holding my arms.
We were all laughing so hard, and we were all so slippery that they almost dropped me before finally pulling me back in. So, Doug kinda saved my life, I guess, at Falls Creek.
He also almost killed me several times when he came up the middle with that huge stiff-arm, knocked me down, and stepped on my face on the way to the end zone. So I guess we're even? Doug and I had many great times growing up, and I'm very thankful for all the good memories, especially from Falls Creek.
Aren't those great? Send me some more Falls Creek memories (or memories from other camps) and I'll gladly post them.

5 comments:

art rogers said...

Oh, Kiki. I have never met you or Doug, and yet, in some sick, twisted way, I feel I know more than I need to.

Kidding. Great stories.

Dori said...

I loved Falls Creek! My favorite memory is the first year I attended with my church at the time. I didn't know any of the kids, so I spent the first few days memorizing the deck of Bible Trivia cards. By the end of the week our church had won 2nd place in the Bible Trivia Contest. It was the first trophy our church had ever won at Falls Creek, and the kids all warmed up to me in the process. God used my intellect to help boost my introvert nature and lack of social skills. A great week.

Kiki Cherry said...

Dorcas,

Did you ever have those "Who Am I" cards as a kid? My brother and I loved those things!!! They had clues about a Biblical character, and you had to figure out who it was referring to based on the clues.

Dori said...

No, bummer, I missed that in my childhood. Although I do remember some yellow cassette tapes of Bullfrogs and Butterflies, and The Music Machine. I still find myself singing those songs about the fruit of the Spirit. Did you ever listen to those?

Kiki Cherry said...

Now I'll be singing, "Bull frogs, and butterflies, you gotta be born again....." ALL DAY LONG!!!

But I think my favorite "cheesy" song was (all together now), "He's a peach of a Savior, He's the apple of my eye, He prunes back the branches when the branches get too high........He BEARS fruit in season, and His love will never die.....and that's why I'm bananas for the Lord....."

"Glory, glory, we're the BRAAAAAAaaaaaanches!!!! Glory, glory, we're the BRRAAAAAAaaaaaaanches. Glory, glory, we're the BRAAaaaanches. And that's why I'm bananas for the Lord!!!"