Sunday, January 22, 2006

My Hair Blog--Parable of the Straightening Iron


Okay, so this is a weird post. But the truth is, I'm a geek. And I somehow seem to find analogies in very strange places.

Doug got me a straightening iron this week for my 37th birthday. I'm still fascinated that there is a tool that can actually tame these insane curls!

But what struck me, as I tried it out, is how the process works. It reminded me of the spiritual process God has been putting me through lately.

Let me explain. My curls are the natural me, and remind me of my human nature. They are my "default" mode--much like my sinful nature that comes out when I am not actively striving against it.

But God uses His spiritual "straightening process" on me to change my old nature into a new, more Christlike nature. (This is where it gets really cheesy, but bear with me.) There are three tools I use on my hair, which equate to three spiritual tools God uses on me.

1. Straightening iron- This is like the Word of God. There are two flat ceramic plates on either side of the iron. They are fixed and do not move, and press the hair between them to straighten it out. In the same way, the Word of God is solid and immovable. It is the absolute truth that hems me in on either side.

2. Straightening balm- This is the stuff I smooth on my hair before ironing it. The balm prepares the hair to straighten more effectively, and keeps any loose ends from frizzing. This is like the Holy Spirit. He interprets the Word for me, and guides me into Truth when I become errant in my thinking.

3. Heat- It is the heat that straightens the curls out, and the cooling process that allows the hair to maintain its shape. In the same way, God allows trials and tribulations in our life to refine us. The heat actually molds us and makes us stronger. One thing to note is that the heat is plugged into a source. In the same way, God is the source behind many of the struggles we face. He allows them to come into our lives in order to strengthen us spiritually. But he doesn't ever let it get so hot that we are destroyed. He promises that He will not give us more than we can bear. Just like the cooling process allows the hair to maintain its shape, God allows times of refreshment in our life so we can regroup and refocus.

Okay, I know I lost most of you guys about two words into this post. But the fact is, I CAN be a girly girl sometimes. Much as I hate to admit it. : )

And it just goes to show you that God can use almost anything to teach us about Himself.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...I learned something today. Not about straightening curls and/or the spiritual analogy but you always tell me that you are not creative. Bologna!!

Joe Kennedy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kevin Bussey said...

My wife is always trying to get curl in her hair. Great analogy!

That is a great sermon :)

Lesley said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lesley said...

As one who possesses both the natural curl and a love for the Lord, I must say that I applaud your analogy.

How cute and appropriate!

Kudos.

Joe Kennedy said...

i made it to five words before you lost me.

Tim Sweatman said...

I've been married for 11 1/2 years, and my wife's sister is a beautician, so I was able to follow all the way through.

Where do you come up with this stuff? If there is one ability I lack (OK, so there's more than one), it is the ability to take the everyday things of life and use them to illustrate spiritual principles. I may have to start emailing you my sermon outlines and let you insert a few examples! Of course, since you're a woman I won't be able to give you credit. ;)

Kiki Cherry said...

Hey Romey,

It's amazing what creativity you can muster up after a few shots of Nyquil. ; )

Kiki Cherry said...

Tim,

When I need a good sports analogy, I'll come to you. : )

Kevin,

See what you guys are missing out on? I wonder if the disciples ever had hair issues......

Lesley,

You have naturally curly hair, love God, enjoy soccer, and are a social activist. You are a woman after my own heart!!!! : )

Kiki Cherry said...

Joe,

You're just jealous of my bodacious hair analogy. : )

Maybe tomorrow I'll post on belly button lint......

Joe Kennedy said...

Jealous of your hair maybe. I'm doomed to live out my days with incredibly thin hair. Baldness? Nope. But thin? May the combover never enter my thoughts.

Kiki Cherry said...

Joe,

Saw this great info-mercial on REALLY late night TV once. They have this cool stuff now that you can just spray on. We could even give you televangelist hair if you like.

Or if you want to go the cheap route, you could just buy some light brown silly string.....

Kevin Bussey said...

My next message series will be titled "HAIR"

I will invite Kiki to speak :)

Anonymous said...

I think hair-blogging is much more interesting that the ubiquitous cat-blogging, and I love a down to earth spiritual analogy.

Blessings,

Paul said...

You see, this is why I can't figure women out. You have naturally curly hair and want it straightened. My wife has naturally straight hair and spends hours (ok...male exaggeration) putting curls in.

And here I am, unable to find an analogy in any of that.

Paul said...

Let me clarify. First, I did not mean that as a shot against women, but a shot against me. Second, my problems go much deeper than that - there are a number of reasons I can't figure women out, not just this one. Third, I couldn't survive without the women in my life.

Hope I didn't offend.

Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher said...

Jesus too spoke in parables relevant to the people of his day.

I too see God's handiwork everywhere. How amazing that the Holy Spirit is everywhere and always ready to teach!

Kiki Cherry said...

Paul,

And in that short comment, you pegged the mystery of women. We're always working to be something other than what we are.

francie said...

nyquill - so that's what you call it these days!! - do ya need one of my pieces of my collection - maybe the amish one!

love the hair - totally changes your persona