Saturday, January 21, 2006

Leaving a legacy

Recently I was thinking about legacy, and what legacy I want to leave for my kids. Before they were born, we knew that it was important to us to pass on a godly heritage. We chose biblical names for them that point to the cross (Anna means "grace", and Joshua means "Jehovah is Salvation"). The verses we selected for them speak of truths we want them to embrace in their lives. (Hebrews 4:16 for Anna, Joshua 1:8-9 for Joshua). We pray specific scriptures over them, and strive to teach them about God.
But how do we help them to really own their faith? Right after they accepted Christ, we bought them devotional books and encouraged them to have a daily quiet time. We talked to them about taking the next step of obedience in their walk and being baptized. Both of them came to a point where they chose to do that.
But sometimes their faith has seemed to be more rooted in our family tradition, and I've wondered how much ownership they really have.
So we decided to try something new. I was using my inductive Bible a couple of months ago, and Joshua was sitting at the table with me. He watched me marking my Bible and looking up the original words in "Strong's." He thought that was cool, and asked if I could teach him how to do it as well. Anna said she would also like to learn.
Since I learned to study inductively through Precepts Bible Studies, we decided to use their "Dig 4 Yourselves" series. Anna wanted to do "How to Study your Bible" and Joshua chose the study on Abraham.

The results have been phenomenal. It has been a real lesson for me in not underestimating my kids. They have been so diligent in doing their work, and are loving the studies.

Anna told me, "I think sometimes you guys underestimate us. When you assume we are not interested in something, it may just be that we want more of a challenge."

From now on I am setting the bar high, and trusting God to develop in my kids a love for His Word. One of the verses that I often pray for them is Isaiah 66:2. Oh Lord, may Anna and Joshua be humble and contrite in spirit, and tremble at your word. May they grow to be a man and woman "of the Book" who walk according to your precepts.

1 comment:

Tim Sweatman said...

Sounds like you're leaving quite a legacy. I believe that there should be an element of family tradition in a child's spiritual development. This seems to be an important theme in Deuteronomy, that parents should be their children's primary spiritual teacher and guide. It's great that you're not just teaching them the Bible, but you're teaching them to study the Bible for themselves. That's awesome!