Thursday, October 19, 2006

What I'm learning from the Qur'an

One of our Muslim friends gave us a copy of the Qur'an last week. It has been interesting to read it, and it has given me a deeper love and concern for my friends.

There was a time when I would not have felt comfortable reading it, or even having one in my home. But I have realized three things: 1) Our Bible is the living, active Word of God---this is simply a book. I don't need to be afraid of it 2) "Greater is He who is in me, than he who is in the world." (1 John 4:1-6) and 3) Reading it helps me better understand, and so be better able to pray for, communicate with and serve my Muslim friends.

What I have discovered so far has made me sad. When you read the Qur'an, it is a very binding set of laws. Adam and I were discussing it, and both had the same impression. He asked, "where is the evidence of love? I see strong teachings about judgement and mercy, but where is the love from God to man?"

When Adam asked one of our Muslim friends that question, our friend seemed to indicate that love only exists between a man and a woman. Even phileo love, between brothers, was a somewhat foreign concept to him.

He was explaining how Allah is a reactive God. If we extend a hand towards him, then he will extend an arm back towards us. If we walk towards him, he will run towards us. It is very dependent on works and our ability to be "good enough". Their very lives are ruled by daily legalistic practices, and they are constantly held in the tension between their good and bad deeds. No matter how loyal and good they strive to be, they still also have no assurance that they will "make it" to paradise. (with one exception, which is the killing of infidels. I think I actually understand better about that, but don't want to discuss it in this post.)

As our friend stated, "we live in a balance between fear and hope."

Just studying the Qur'an has made me incredulously grateful for our God. He is so good, and his love endures forever!!!! When I see Him contrasted against the gods of other religions, I realize what an incredible and incomprehensible gift He has given us.

I also have a fuller understanding of the magnitude of His sacrifice. No other religion has a god who was willing to humble Himself to the point of becoming one of us. And yet He went beyond that, and gave His very life on our behalf!!! Why would He continue to love us that much, when we fall so short? How can He be so Holy, and yet also so merciful?

Thanks be to God, for His indescribable Gift.

9 comments:

QR said...

That's really cool Kiki. Even though my step-dad's family is Muslim, I've never really been comfortable discussing it with them, so it's interesting to see what you are learning about it. I was praying for you guys during your dinner the other day.

Anonymous said...

The Good News is SO GOOD even most christians DO NOT believe it!
The true message of the Cross is scandalous (sp?) to most who call themselves christians.

Peace
Geo

SBC Layman said...

Kiki,

Great post.

Keep us advised of what you learn from your reading.

My reading plate is a little full, but I would like the opportunity to read through it some day.

BTW, I am not sure if you saw my ealier post on one of your previous topics.

Amy and I are sorry you had to go through that experience last week. Amy had a similar difficulty in the first town we lived in.

Blessings
Troy

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts, Kiki. I have been amazed by the fact that we not only have a God who came to earth, humbling himself to be like us, but that he came to earth to serve us. Every other god demands service from its seekers, but Jesus came to serve! Incredible.

Thank you also for the reminder to pray for the Muslim world. Much of it is highly unreached by the gospel of Christ!

Cathy said...

Thanks, for your reading and reporting to us. This portion you have shared certainly confirms some of what I have heard.

We have been blessed to have a converted Muslim in our church and he has written a couple of books I believe. It has always been good to hear him speak. He has empasized at times the lack of hope and the never knowing.

I have enjoyed reading Bilquis Sheikh's book, I DARED TO CALL HIM FATHER. A very touching book. Humbly presented and very real. Maybe a bit charismatic for the average Baptist.

It is however good to get a report from someone who reads from the sourcebook of the religion. It is quite informative and should guide us all in our witness.

I look forward to more installments.

Anonymous said...

We pray for you as you reach out to a people whom God loves so much, but who many Christians are reluctant to have any contact with. Just as it is easier for us to judge and generalize about a certain group of people if we have no contact with them, so it is harder for them to judge and criticize us if they get to know us personally. I believe that God has a special plan to reach the Muslims in these latter days. Think about what radical changes would take place in the world if they started believing in the one true God and his only Son Jesus Christ. That is what I will be praying for, in addition to praying for Father to give you wisdom, courage, and the right words to speak, just as was promised.

Kiki Cherry said...

Thank you guys for the comments.

I haven't been on my blog in several days. Dealing with more immediate stuff that's come up here.

But there are so many comments that I want to respond to when I get the chance.

I have to say....there are many characteristics that I respect in my Muslim friends and would like to emulate. Their devotion in worship, and priority in keeping it in the forefront of their mind is amazing. Also the reverent manner in which they enter into prayer.

I have also found the Qur'an to be really interesting. There are parts I just simply don't understand, and I think that is mainly due to complexities of the translation.

But a lot of the stories are similar to biblical accounts, but tweaked some. We share a lot of similar moral values, too.

However, I really miss the grace. I keep looking for it, but it's just not there. That's what makes me sad.

BTW--Cathy--I have also read "I Dared to Call Him Father." In fact, I just passed my copy along to one of the students.

My mom actually knows one of the women who wrote in the back of the newer versions, which include additional statements by those impacted by Ms. Sheikh's life.

Anonymous said...

"Their very lives are ruled by daily legalistic practices, and they are constantly held in the tension between their good and bad deeds."

so basically, your idea of a good "God" is someone who lets you do whatever you want, and then forgives you, no questions asked?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reading Quran, Please read again and again, and you will start understanding. It is mentioned again and again the Allah/God is not just for muslims. Allah/GOd is Rahmat-ul-Almeen, meaning HE brings "Rahamat" (blessings) for all the mankind.

Now reference to "killing of kinfidel to go to paradise". Even that is mis interpreted, Killing is stritcly not allowed, not even of animals and trees unless needed for food. Even in war it is clearly mention not to harm the civilian (childeren, woman, old, yong ie civilians) .

Also please try to learn arabic and dont use translations, I have seen the translations to be biased with personal opinions added.

May God bring Blessings with your journey.