Thursday, October 12, 2006

Letter from Adam

The picture is refusing to show up--I'll try again later. For now, this represents Adam's face. : )


Yesterday was our regular lemonade table in the middle of campus. That is always the highlight of my week, because it is the time we really get to engage in some deep conversations with students who are not believers.

But this year I have had another joy, in getting to watch our intern, Adam, interacting with students. It was only 13 months ago that Adam himself found a personal relationship with Christ.

I can't tell you how fun it is just to be around him and watch God working through him. Adam has absorbed the Word and grown faster than anyone I've ever known. He is sold out, and has a passion for reaching the nations. He was one of five students who spent Spring Break ministering in Peru (in the picture above he is with one of the men he met there.) Adam definitely has the gift of evangelism!!!

I asked him if he would write something for my blog. Here it is:


The difference between knowing God
and knowing about God

A few years ago, I used to know about God. I knew what the bible said He did: that He came to die for our sins and reconcile us back to Himself. I knew that He asked us: 1) not to sin, 2) to love others and to be good to them, 3) to love
Him most of all.
I dutifully went to church every Sunday morning and tried to be good to others because it was what I was supposed to do. In appearance, it may have looked like I really loved God, I think I even fooled myself.

But truthfully, it was a chore for me, I couldn't wait to put in my hours and forget about Him for the week. His commandments were things I had to do. I did not enjoy my time that was spent doing godly things. I would rather have been elsewhere, doing what I wanted to do.
In church, when we were supposed to be in His presence, my thoughts drifted to "How much longer" or "this is so boring". What would I have done if I would have had to put up with this "bordem" for all eternity?

That changed a little over a year ago; now I know God. I know why He needed to come and die for us. I desire to be with Him at all times now. Being with Him on Sunday morning is one thing I now look forward to as an essential part of the week.
In fact, I don't even have to wait til Sunday morning anymore, I can be with Him 24/7. It is no longer out of duty that I follow His commandments, but because I want to follow them and to serve Him.
I wait eagerly for the day when in heaven I am able to be with Him for all eternity. Now that I know Him, I know that I truly love Him.

In Christ,

Adam

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to hear about how Adam came to truly know God. I find it especially uplifting when someone who is religious or a "cultural Christian" comes to a true, life changing faith in Christ. It seems that so few lost church members or attenders ever reach a point where they recognize that despite their religiosity Christ is not part of their lives.

Anonymous said...

Wow Kiki. This post and the one before were such a blessing to me. Thank you. 2 Corinthians 2:14-15.

Kiki Cherry said...

Tim,

I'll ask him if he could share that. It's a cool story.

Kiki Cherry said...

Debbie,

That verse that you quoted from 2 Cor. is our metro team's "theme verse."

That is the standard we hold to--be the fragrance of Christ wherever we go.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.