Monday, September 04, 2006

Our New Addition


On Saturday we added a new member to our family. She is a sweetie! We're pretty sure that she is all beagle. Our neighbor looked at her and said she has the markings of a purebred dog, even though we got her from a rescue.

The hardest part was leaving with her. The mother beagle happened to be in a cage beside where our car was parked. When she saw her puppy, she ran to the fence, stuck her nose through, and was whimpering for her little one. It almost broke my heart.

We haven't given her a name yet, because our family can't come to a consensus on anything. So for now, it's just "little girl." She's a snuggler who likes nothing better than to sit on your lap and have her head scratched.

But she's also a typical toddler. Into everything, and it all goes in the mouth. We've suddenly realized how non-babyproofed our house has become.

Thankfully, she's a really easy and smart dog, who already sleeps through the night, loves her crate, and is catching on to housetraining. We had two new firsts this morning--leash training and a bath (neither of which she was real fond of.)

All of you in the Pittsburgh area are more than welcome to come meet her. She LOVES people!!!

11 comments:

QR said...

Let me be the first to say "awwwwwww!"

Bob Cleveland said...

She looks like "Snuggles" to me.

Kevin Bussey said...

Don't let my kids see this! They have been begging me for a dog for years!

Anonymous said...

We are really proud of our great grand dog!!!! She is a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Has she "treed" a raccoon yet? :)
--Angie (sis-n-law)

Kiki Cherry said...

Ang,

You didn't tell me how tough this could be!!! I feel like I have newborn again.

I just spent the last two hours at the vet (and missed my Bible Study) with a sick puppy.

She apparently has a bad ear infection, which I have to give her antibiotics for--(have you ever tried giving a resistant puppy medication????!!!)

But the medicine gives her diarrhea, which has been so fun to deal with, and so she's now on a bland diet, which is costing me about $6/day.

Then, the vet noticed a place on her and said, "Let's culture that to make sure it's not ringworm." RINGWORM???!!! We've been playing with her, holding her, loving on her all weekend.

So now I'm on hold with my pediatrician..... : )

francie said...

i had a beagle once -- i called him denise the menace - and he lived up to his name!

QR said...

Ringworm's not soooo bad.

We used to feed my dog (well, my FL host family's dog) rice when he had diarrhea. Maybe your dog will like rice.

David said...

Puppies are cute, and a lot of work & trouble. They do eventually grow up into good dogs, and there's nothing so great as being greeted at the door by a happy howl. It's so fun...I can walk out the door and be gone two minutes or two days, and it's always the same greeting when I return.

Kelly Reed said...

Kiki,

I'd say she looks more like Doug!

Kelly

Kiki Cherry said...

She finally has a name!!!

It's "Scout"--and yes, Marty, it's taken from "To Kill a Mockingbird."

One of our students came up with that. Thanks, Lisa!!! I was beginning to think she would just be "dog" forever. :)