Thursday, September 21, 2006

Cry of my heart

Yesterday was such an amazing day on campus, that I am struggling to put it into words. It was one of those intense, God-orchestrated times.

We had just set up our lemonade table, when Khalid and Mohuiddin came along and camped out next to us. They are two students who we already know well, and they were putting up a booth for the Muslim Student Association.

We were able to spend the next six hours of the day fellowshipping and hanging out with several members of their group. Many of them we already had friendships with.

We talked about God and Islam and Christianity. We clowned around, discussed life in general and just enjoyed each other's company. There was an openness and ease that was refreshing. We were able to ask honest questions and genuinely learn from one another.

At one point in the day, I was in a deep conversation with a guy named Mohamed when my Israeli friend, Shary, came along. She is someone who I have not seen in a long time, and I was eager to hear about the group of Jewish American students she took on their Birthright trip to Israel this Summer.

(I also love the fact that an Israeli Jew, an Egyptian Muslim and an American Christian were standing in the middle of campus together!)

Through the course of the day, we had many incredible opportunities, which I won't share in detail on a public forum. But it was clear that God is actively at work on our campus.

The day was so full of meaningful conversations that we didn't even have time to eat lunch. I managed to get down three crackers at one point between dialogues, but that was it.

As I was driving home I could hardly contain my excitement. But at the same time my heart was heavy.

It hurts to love people with a veil over their eyes. It's painful to plead for the souls of your friends, not knowing their ultimate destiny. All I can do is cling to the hope that God, in His mercy, will open their eyes and hearts to see the deity of Jesus.

You know what is interesting, though? God has given me a passion and love for the "people of the book" that I did not have before coming to Pittsburgh. In fact, if you had asked me how I felt about both the Muslims and the Jews just a few years ago, I would have said that I hoped to never be called to live with either one. Both have a reputation for their religous zeal and ruthlessness. My assumption has always been that they were so set in their beliefs that they would never listen to someone like me.

But God has softened my heart. Two things happened Monday which just confirm that fact.

I decided to stop by the University Center that morning, before meeting with a student. As I walked in, I noticed a little Jewish boy, about 2 or 3 years old, playing at his mother's feet. His dark hair curled around the edges of his kippah, and his huge brown eyes were deep and innocent.

I wanted to run up and just pray over him, to plead with God that this family would be part of the remnant who recognized that the Messiah had come. That morning I had read Romans 9 and 10--the passage which speaks of Paul's desire to see the salvation of the Jews.

The words of Romans 10:1-2 rang out in my heart. "Brethren, my heart's desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. For I testify about them that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge."

I echo those words, but my prayer does not stop there. It extends to all the descendants of Abraham. Even though Isaac and Ishmael were sons of Abraham--called the "friend of God"--their children no longer have a relationship with Him.

Monday evening Doug and I watched the movie "United 93". The whole movie was intense. But one scene hit me really hard, and for reasons you might not expect.

It was the point in the story where everyone on board the plane realized that they were going to die. The passengers frantically recited the Lord's Prayer, while the terrorists passionately prayed to Allah. Again, I thought about Paul's words--"they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge."

A few years ago, I would have only felt anger towards men who could commit such a heinous act. But today, my heart breaks for a people deceived by the darkness. I am sad for them. They are so sincere, yet misguided in their pursuit of righteousness.

But I cling to this hope. I know that God is love. I know that He is merciful. He changes lives. He alone is God.


Psalm 146:8-10 The LORD opens the eyes of the blind; The LORD raises up those who are bowed down; The LORD loves the righteous;
The LORD protects the strangers; He supports the fatherless and the widow, But He thwarts the way of the wicked.
The LORD will reign forever, Your God, O Zion, to all generations. Praise the LORD!




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kiki, I can ALWAYS count on your bringing the big picture into focus. Two reasons we're here: Glorify God and make His name known among the nations. It is the Abrahamic Covenent. One day making His name known will end and glorifying Him will be all that remains.

Certainly your post puts into perspective the SBC snipping. If our conversations are NOT focused on the content of your post, we really must question whose kingdom we're building. Blessings on you, Doug and the kids as you labor at the front.

jettybetty said...

Thank you, Thank you!
This inspires me more than you will ever know!

Kelly Reed said...

This is Vicky,
Hi Kiki,
I love this entry. I hope and pray the same thing for our campus ministry here at WIU. We are a town out in the middle of nowhere yet God has brought the world to us. How I pray relationships can be built like the ones you and Doug have built. Please pray for our new campus minister and his family they have experienced tragedy since they have arrived here in the loss of their son. His wife was 7 months pregnant and the baby was born stillborn, I could not imagine their grief. Yet I have seen God's hand at work and have been in awe as I watch his mercy unfold to this family. I has been amazing to watch their deep, abiding faith. Anyway, please pray for them and their ministry. They are from Southwestern (they met there like Kelly and I and she has a degree in Children's ministry). I pray that we will hear soon of some awesome conversions both in Pittsburgh and here in Macomb. We love and miss you and your family. We know God is blessing you richly. Keep up the good work.

BTW, how is the church going?
Vicky

Anonymous said...

How refreshing to read this and your previous two entries! What you share is so much in contrast with most other blog writing out there where we are trying to convince the world what is the "right way" to do things--you guys are simply DOING it! and not worrying about the politics of it all. May we all catch whatever "bug" you have and get out there amongst the lost and BE witnesses in our Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and ends of the earth.

I read on another blog that in an interview with a new Nigerian believer about what he thought "missional" meant, he couldn't give a sophisticated answer, but simply said, 1) seek God, 2) obey God. That pretty well sums up what all of us need to be doing.

Marty Duren said...

Kiki-
What a great post. Thanks so much.

Though that specific verse did not pop into my mind, my heart was heavy each time that those "prayer scenes" came across the screen because of the same thoughts you expressed.