Saturday, April 08, 2006

Guest Blogger: Brandee Littlefield

This is my friend Brandee, with her cat, Ophelia. Brandee is one of those kids who we first came to know as a student in Oklahoma City, but who has grown up to be one of our closest friends.

I asked Brandee to write something for my blog, because she has a wonderfully unique and beautiful approach to her faith. She is also an incredible artist, and a deep philosopher. She challenges me by her example. Miss you, girl!

Here are her words of wisdom:

Beach Reach, 2006
One night as we dropped students off at a hotel on the far end of the island, Trevor presented the gospel flawlessly. I could hear the whispers of Phillip's prayers in the Driver's seat as I also prayed in a whisper. Listening to the young man's response broke my heart. Not verbatim, but he said, "I understand what you are saying. I know what you've told me it would take for me to go to Heaven. But I am going to continue to do things my way."

At that I could speak no longer and the spirit had to intercede for the groanings of my heart. I could feel my tears because I knew he would be accountable for the truth that he now knew. I wonder if the average American Christian knows what it is like to be broken over the lostness of the people around them.


I think that God speaks to us in ways that impact us most. He is the perfect father who knows how to relate to His children. I often find that I have extreme clarity when I am walking in a park talking to God or painting or journaling.

This is the journaling that I wrote after having a dream on a Sunday afternoon a couple of months back. It is written in prose and I had to reread it after I had written it because I hadn't fully awaken from my dream.

The Potency of Hell
I woke from a dream
Its contents
Already past my recollection
And yet I felt greatly impressed
As to the insurmountable evidence
Toward the horrors and affliction of Hell
The cavalcade of emotion and guilt
At my apathy overwhelmed me
If I truly believe that
Why do I stand still?
Those that I know that
Have perished in a life
That had not been redeemed
And those who are still yet to
Fall asleep apart from God
Are and shall forever be exiled
From the One
That I hold most dear
In my understanding
Which by my own confession
Is limited, I have allowed myself
To believe that because in eternity
I will forget those who chose not To follow God, that somehow
Their suffering would subside
But that is a lie!
Even after judgment
Though endowed with more mercy
Than any man ever deserved
Their pain will never end
Regret that haunts
Opportunities that will ever
Be in the forefront of their consciousness
Never able to sleep
Or able to retreat
There will be no second chances
And no hope of a better tomorrow
As these prose
Spill forth from my spirit
I pray a very hard thing
Let my heart not be indifferent
To my fellow man
Though he himself
Be unaware
And while Hell is not my future
Let me never forget
That it claims all who I neglect
Father may I be besieged by pain
Over their sin now
So in the future they will not be
It made me cry. And it changed me. I hope that I always have brokenness for lost people around me, my hope is that by sharing it, it might change others as well.It reminds me of one of my favorite verses:
Acts 20:24 "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace."

3 comments:

RMc said...

That's good.... Can I use it for an insert in our bulletin for church? We have thought provoking writings fairly regularly - and this one would definitely provoke something.....

Kiki Cherry said...

Rodney--

I don't think Brandee would mind at all. You should see her artwork!!!

Unknown said...

it belongs to God. Use it where ever it achieves His glory.