Monday, April 10, 2006

Being a Christian kid in a secular world

Joshua came home from school this week and told me, "Isaac said that he doesn't believe the Bible is true. He thinks it's silly that I do. He says it is just a made-up book."

So I asked, "How do you know if the Bible is true or not? What if it is made up?"

Both Joshua and Anna gave me this blank, deer-in-the-headlights look. Then slowly, we began to talk about it. Here is the dialogue that ensued.

Joshua: "Because God also talks to people in their lives, even though He's not on earth. So it's pretty much a miracle. And I believe He can do even bigger miracles than that."

Kiki: "Help me understand. Are you saying that God speaks through the words of the Bible into the lives of people, so that's how you know it is true?"

Joshua: "Yeah!!! That's what I'm talking about. I just KNOW it's real. It's kinda hard to explain, because it is something I just believe in my heart.

Anna: "Yeah.....it's something that you just realize is true--a "bottom-of-the-heart" experience."

Kiki: "But what about things like evolution? Do people ever tell you that the Bible is wrong about creation because science disproves it?"

Anna: "Well, Joshua DID evolve from a monkey. But not the rest of us." :)

Joshua: "The whole theory is kind of illogical, if you think about it. Yet they think it's illogical that God took the time to plan and create the world!!!! But that's only because they don't know God like we do."

Kiki: "That must be tough sometimes, when all your friends believe things that are different from your Christian worldview. How do you live in a secular world and maintain your Christian values?"

Joshua: "Pray a lot. Make sure your life looks like a Christian, so they have a reason to ask you why you're different."

Anna: "You can't just use arguments from the Bible, though. Especially when it comes to evolution. Because to some of them the Bible means nothing."

Kiki: "So what do you do?"

Anna: "You show them how it is wrong using another explanation. All science is not bad. You can still use science to support creation."

Joshua: "And it's important to treat everyone nicely. Even if they don't believe in God and Creation and stuff. We're supposed to treat everyone the same and with respect."

Kiki: "Is it hard to be a Christian kid in a public school where most of your friends are not believers?"

Anna: "Sort of, because there is so much around you to tempt you and make you not want to act like a Christian sometimes. Like gossip, or wanting to get mad at people when they are rude."

Joshua: "Yeah, sometimes it's hard not to be mean to people when they annoy you or do something bad to you."

Kiki: "Are there some positive things about being in that environment?"

Anna: "Yes!!! I have the opportunity to tell my friends about Jesus. If I wasn't there, then who would tell them? Plus, it makes me think about what I really believe."

Joshua: "I think God put me in public school to tell people about Jesus. It's made me stronger, too, because it takes courage to teach people about stuff."

8 comments:

Tim Sweatman said...

WOW! I like the way that you ask questions to help your kids formulate their own answers about tough issues. I think that solidifies their beliefs more than if you just told them what they should believe. When they get older they'll probably irritate their pastor by questioning him about a lot of what he says! :^)

I wonder sometimes about kids whose parents do everything in their power to insulate the kids from the secular world. Are those kids ready for what awaits them when they finally have to go out into the "real world?" Maybe that's why so many young people leave the church, or even turn away from the faith, during or soon after college.

Cathy said...

Tim, do you ever wonder about seminaries that try to insulate their students from different views of scripture?

RMc said...

Good Job Mom!!! Way to train your children to think and engage (even if one of them is a monkey......)!!!

I'm not sure it matters as much where a child gets his education if his parents are not challenging them to think the way you guys are doing. The foundation you are laying is solid.

Tim Sweatman said...

Cathy,

I've struggled with the issue of Christian higher education for a while. This was a big issue last year here in Kentucky with Georgetown College. One of these days I plan on doing a full blog post on the subject. I believe that seminaries err when they don't expose students to varying viewpoints, but at the same time I believe that a denominationally supported seminary is obligated to teach the doctrines that are held by its denomination. Reconciling the seminary's role as an institution of higher learning with its role as a denominational entity is a major challenge.

Amanda said...

wow your kids are so deep...
the public school is a mission field....

Paul said...

Kiki,

This is awesome. I linked to your post in a comment on Jeff Richard Young's blog. This is just outstanding!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to be so late to this post, but in one word, let me say, AWESOME. That is exactly what we hope our kids experience. Already, our 7 year old prays constantly for the little boy in her class from Sri Lanka that believes in "other gods" as she says. She brings the prayer requests for him into her Sunday School and AWANA classes and is already portraying a heart for the lost that is causing wonder among her adult teachers. I don't think that she would have the same perspective if she were not around unbelievers - plus all of her teachers, principal, adminstrators, etc. are Christians, so it is a good environment.

Thanks for the example. Sometimes I feel like other Christians think we are horrible for putting our kids in public school. We're actually just trying to follow Jesus.

Stephanie said...

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS! I just became aware of Albert Mohler's suggestion of an "exit strategy" and am sickened. I am a teacher and a wife of a student at his seminary. It is very anti-Christian to deny children such challenging and faith strengthening experiences by isolating them all in private schools. I personally experience this evangelism your students speak of in my 3rd grade classroom, and it is a blessing to me and others in what Mohler might call a "godless" place. It is encouraging to see that I am not the only Christian who feels this way!