Monday, November 21, 2005

Heart of a Little Missionary

I just love having conversations with my 8-year-old, Joshua. Here is our conversation today.

Q: What do you think are the most important things in life?
A: Praising God, reading my Bible, my family, and telling people about Jesus. You know, life is kind of like being sent on a mission, if you think about it. The whole reason that we're born in the first place is to tell people about Jesus.

Q: What made you decide to become a Christian?
A: I just believe that God is real, and I believe His story. I'm glad that I had a chance to know about that.

Q: What would you tell someone who did not know about Him?
A: That He can save them from their sins if they just believe.

Q: How do you know that God really exists?
A: Because He really does talk to me. Like through my heart and my head. He tells me if I should do something or not. We talk to each other. I sometimes tell him sorry when my friends at school take His name in vain. And I apologize for my sins, too. I tell Him that I love Him.

Q: How do you go deeper in that relationship with Him?
A: I haven't really done that very well lately, but I want to. Like I want to read the whole Bible and talk to Him more and stuff.

Q: What do you think God thinks about you?
A: I guess He thinks I'm good sometimes and pretty wild sometimes. But then He thinks, "I love that kid!"

Q: Do you think God has a plan for your life?
A: I know that He does, but I don't know all the details yet. I think I may be a missionary and go around the world. Because around the world there are less people that know about Jesus than there are here.

Q: But what if that means you have to live in a hut, or eat bugs, or what if it means you will die?
A: The hut would be FUN, and bugs might taste good. But it would be worth it if I was killed. Because I am only one person, but I can tell a lot of people. If you go to hell, it's like dying for all eternity. But if you go to heaven, it's like having a much, much better life than you would have on earth anyway.

Q: Do you have a verse that God has shown you about all this?
A: Yes. It's when Jesus talks, afterHe had just come back to life. I think it's in Matthew. He says He's going to come back again when all the nations know about Him. I really want people to know about God, and I really want to see Jesus come down again.


How's that for a missions heart???!!! He challenges me constantly!
Mat 18:2-3 "And He called a child to Himself and set him before them, and said, "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven."

7 comments:

MicahGirl said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I tried to click over to your blog from your comment at the Missional Baptist site but instead found the blog of a Canadian cherry grower...

If you hadn't left me a note I would have never had the chance to read your nascent blog. It looks great! I look forward to reading it.

Love the interview with your son.

Anonymous said...

Dear sister..thanks for sharing the purity of a little heart! How exciting to SEE Jesus in his words and heart...and know He is working with you and your family and ministry to show HIMSELF true, good and faithful. Love your blog...more later. Blessings on the journey, Deb

Ashlee said...

Very cute! Thanks for visiting my site. It's fun to meet another lady with an African heart. :)

RMc said...

Isn't it fun when our kids have it down, and most of us don't?

Kiki Cherry said...

Hi, Rodney! Thanks for coming to my blog!

Yes--God teaches me a lot through my kids. I was thinking today how I want to love people and embrace life more like my son does. With open abandon and joy.

He was out playing in the snow today, running around, laughing, and totally enjoying every moment. Then he threw a snowball at me. As he fell over laughing, he told me, "Mommy, do you know how much I love you????"

I want to be more like that.

RMc said...

I'm going to post something about this in awhile, but yesterday the girls cooked everything for Thanksgiving. D'Shon and I are both sick, and they took over. They did a great job!!! It never ceases to amaze me how much our girls step up when they need to do so.

Question is - did he hit you with the snowball, and did you retaliate?

Kiki Cherry said...

Chris,

You have played a major role in who my kids are today. For that matter, you have had a huge impact on all of us.

You taught us a huge portion of what we know about campus ministry, and that night at Glorieta with you, Brandee and Tomlinson was the foundation for the healing I'm finding now.

I am so thankful for you and Valerie! You guys are special to us.

We look forward to the day when we get to witness CJ and Caleb's baptisms!!!