Saturday, November 12, 2005

Earlier this week a friend sent me this quote. I love the simplicity, but also the depth of it. What do you think?

A fellow Franciscan once challenged me with a set of questions:

Do you ever reflect upon the fact that Jesus feels proud of you? Proud that you accepted the faith which he offered you? Proud that after he chose you, you chose him for a friend and Lord? Proud that you haven’t given up? Proud that you believe in him enough to try again and again? Proud that you trust that he can help you? Do you ever think that Jesus appreciates you for wanting him, for wanting to say no to so many things that would separate you from him? Do you ever think that Jesus is grateful to you for pausing to smile and comfort one of his children who has a great need to see a smile, to feel a touch? Do you ever think of Jesus being grateful to you for learning more about him so that you can speak to others more deeply and truly about him? Do you ever think that Jesus can be angry or disappointed in you for not believing that he has forgiven you totally?

Jesus said, “I do not call you servants, but friends . . .” Therefore, there is the possibility of every feeling and emotion which can exist between friends to exist here and now between Jesus and you.


From A Glimpse of Jesus, by Brennan Manning: A Stranger to Self-Hatred, p. 115.

1 comment:

Kiki Cherry said...

I know what you mean. I struggle with the same thing. It's easier to see my shortcomings, and to acknowledge that I am a sinner than it is to see myself as a valued saint.

And yet there are passages like Isaiah 43, that say, "since you are precious in my sight, since you are honored and I love you."