Friday, January 05, 2007

A new year, a new generation

Just this week I heard of a young lady who is planning to convert from Christianity to Islam. She is actually the third student I know who has done so, and all three grew up in church.

Sometimes I wonder what the future holds for our kids. My concern is compounded when I read articles like this one from PBS and this one from the Guttmacher Institute.

But in the midst of it all, there is a generation of students who are standing strong. In the past three weeks, over 50,000 college students have assembled to worship and glorify God. Here are videos from Urbana (Dec. 27-31, 2006, St. Louis), Passion (Jan. 1-4, Atlanta) and West Coast Prayer Rumble (Jan. 4-6, San Diego). (Okay, those videos are not showing up for some reason. But you can find them all on You Tube. I'll keep trying, but am challenged in this area.)

Oh Lord, I pray that you will raise up from this generation a people set apart for you. I ask that they will die to self-idolatry, to prosperity and the distractions of the world. May they be pure and holy and zealous for your name. May they take the message of your glorious grace, no matter what the cost, to every nation, tribe and tongue. For Your Name, and Your Renown, are the desire of our souls.

3 comments:

jettybetty said...

I suppose it's all in how you look at it, but I am very encouraged 50,000 students participated in those events.

I know there's challenges for this next generation--but for the most part--I am very encouraged about what I am seeing and hearing.

David said...

I read the PBS study, and didn't find much reason to be alarmed. Seems more young people are wanting an authentic relationship with Christ vs. some "church experience". While I believe we must certainly involve ourselves with other believers, "not forsaking the assembling", I think it's great that they're seeking the relationship first (Mt 6:33). I'll have to read the other study some other time, may comment again later.

Campbell Dunson said...

Do we know what is attracting young women like this to Islam? I can't imagine . . .