Thursday, December 29, 2005

Suffering and Serving

As I continue reading "The Hidden Smile of God" I have been struck by the fact that the suffering is what drove Bunyan to the depths of his communion with God. It was in the times of deepest pain and affliction that he seemed to find the sweetest fellowship and strongest reliance on his Savior. He wrote "Pilgrim's Progress" while sitting in prison.

I was reminded of a passage in Thessalonians 3 that I read recently. Paul had sent Timothy to strengthen and encourage the Thessalonian church in their trials. But the second half of v.3 is what really struck me. Paul says of the trials, "You know quite well that we were destined for them. In fact, when we were with you, we kept telling you that we would be persecuted."

Throughout history we see that persecution and trials go hand in hand with the service of the faithful. Even the twelve disciples endured some horrific suffering.

I grew up on the mission field and saw some of the persecution of faithful believers firsthand. And for 7 years I struggled to reconcile how a loving God could call his children into a life of suffering. It seemed unfair and unjust to me that a life of obedient submission was often filled with pain and affliction.

But God's ways are not my ways and His thoughts are not my thoughts. He understands that this life, and our momentary trials, are but a second in the scope of eternity. If we live with a kindgom perspective rather than an earthly perspective, then we will be able to endure. Because the day will come when it will have been worth it, and the pain and tears will be no more.

"I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead." --Phil. 3:10

3 comments:

RMc said...

This thought came in real handy this past Sunday. Someone commented about everything being Ok if we were seeking God, and trying to do what He asks us to do. I'm glad I had a chance to read and reflect on your thoughts on it beforehand.

Thanks!!

Gordon said...

Your point is so true. All too often we seek for God to alleviate our trials when He actually is using those circumstances to accomplish His purpose through us. I guess we could say that we want Romans 8:28 without 8:29.

salttheplanet said...

What do you think about this in light of what Piper talked about in his second message at Passion06? Seems to go along really well with what you are reading! Always good to receive an affirmation from the spirit like that!